05 F7 clutch

mtrdep330

I've got a 05 F7 and just bought a new secondary (driven) clutch because my old one fell apart. In with my new clutch, there is a plastic, left handed thread thing called an adjuster sheave. What do I do with this....I've had my old clutch on and off a few times and have never seen or used anything like this sheave. I thought all I had to do was put the new clutch on put the long center bolt back in and be on my way. HELP what is or how do I use a adjuster sheave?

JimAndros

That sheave is used along with shims and an o-ring to adjust the amount the clutch can close. This will give you the correct belt adjustment with the sled sitting still. The shims come in 3 thicknesses and can be stacked to get the adjustment you need. The o-ring holds the shims on the adjuster sheave while it is being removed or installed. It has no other function.

Too little gap will cause the belt to rest too high (tight) and the sled will creap at idle. Too much gap & the belt will sit low & cause a high engagement RPM. It will not affect off idle operation.

Jim

5_spot

Did you buy a used one? Are you the original owner of the sled? The '05 had an update kit, which got rid of the threaded adjuster. Yours may have had this and it sounds like the new one has the original setup or possibly and aftermarket adjuster. I use the Fett bros. adjuster which is a threaded aluminum adjuster that far outperforms either stock setup. Since the adjuster you're referring to is plastic, I would say its stock. If your broken clutch had the update kit, it will be a long bolt, with an aluminum cap that has the shims on the back in place of the plastic adjuster. You can use your bolt/cap from your old one, the only way you can use the plastic adjuster setup is if you have the bolt that goes with that setup, which is about 1-1/4" and has a hole through the center to allow the DD to breathe.

mtrdep330

Thanks

Okay...I think from the two responses I got I understand it now. My sled does have the updated, longer bolt with the aluminum cap and the shims are held on to the bolt with a rubber o-ring. The clutch I bought was OEM from the dealer and it must have included the plastic sheave to go with the non updated set up......anybody need a plastic adjuster sheave....I've got one that I'll sell cheap...lol

Thanks

JimAndros

The original 2004 models with ACT drive and 660 Turbos used the plastic sheave adapter with RH threads.

Problem was if the belt broke, fragments would grab the adjuster & spin it out. This usually damaged the adjuster as it flew around the belly pan.

The ACT drive models were retro fitted with the longer bolt & aluminum cap. 660 models couldn't use this design because they still had the chain case & the clutch had to float on the shaft (keyed VS splined shaft). They were retro fitted with a aluminum sheave with loctite.

Later clutches used LH threads. The adapters were plastic, but they stood the test of time. Replacement clutches all use LH threads and the adapter is packaged with the clutch so it can be installed on 2004 models.

When installing a new clutch, if you have the long bolt & aluminum adapter, use your original equipment. If you have the short bolt & plastic adapter use the short bolt & new sheave provided.