06 Sabercat broken chain in chain case and gears???

indianaskidoo

The Chain in the chain case broke. The question is when do you decide to replace the gears along with the chain?? The three gears show some wear, but what is too much wear?

indianaskidoo

The gears are not rounded, they still have the points, on the "pulling side" of the gear have some wear from the chain. It has little groves across the gear that looks like the chain but on the gears.

tgun

You'll be ok then but for me and my piece of mind I would replace, that way you know your're good in there.

indianaskidoo

I was maybe thinking of just replacing the top gear as it shows the most wear and happens to also be the cheapest. The other 2 gears are kind of pricey. Also wondering if anybody has done the same thing before?

goofy600

It's going to be 10 years old, what are your plans for it if your keeping it for a while do it right.

snocrazy

Just went through my chain case on 2000 Yamaha with 13,000 miles on it. Chain was so stretched it had no more adjustment.
New chain same gears. Know what you are referring to about the chain marks in the gears. Run them and don't give it a second thought.
What can it cause to go wrong? Nothing if you ask me. Maybe shorten the life of the chain by 1% ;)

At around 7000 miles in the same chain case I had the bolt on the lower gear break. The head snapped off and made some real interesting marking in the case. Did not break or crack it so I reused that also. Same gears also. The chain was done in this fiasco.

Note :This sled is ridden harder than most.