08' Skidoo Renegade keeps blowing belts

dcs375

Anyone out there have issues with their Renegades blowing belts? On the 08' models there is a belly pan plug by the primary clutch. I have had a few techs tell me that if this plug comes out the belt will be affected by snow getting in there while riding. I have blown two belts recently and both times the plug has fallen out at some point. I am interested if anyone else has had this issue and what kind of fix there maybe other than good ole duct tape. Thanks

jimfsr

I actually took the plugs out on mine, made a small plate to cover the holes, but set it back about 1/2" so some cooling air could get to the belt and clutches. Never had any issues with belts blowing before their time (about 1000 miles avg. on the 800 for me). Blown belts are usually caused by mis-alignment of the motor to the secondary. CHeck all your moter mount bolts, and the torque limiter bumper if you can. If you can find a clutch alignment tool, that makes it a snap to do.

salmonbum

Early XP's are known for blowing Belts. My 09 blew one a weekend until I shimmed out the secondary. Now I sell a Kit to fix the problem. I ship out 4-8 a week, if that tells you anything. Send me an email if you need more info.

fishon1066@hotmail.com

dcs375

Great advice guys. I will do some exploring. salmonbum, I will probably shoot you a message in a few days. I have a 5 day trip planned next week and will probably take a couple spares just in case. Not going to let this hold me back from an already crappy winter.

salmonbum

I can get you a shim kit real quick. Its a 15 min install that will save you hundreds. But if you dont want to wait, then make sure to wash you belts, clean your clutches and check for wear items out of spec. Break your belts in for 20 miles before hard riding. 377 will take the most heat, so if you just want to throw on a belt and not do any work, this is your only hope of getting a few hundred miles out of a belt.

Other things you can do when you have time is venting and tower brace.

I also have some belts for sale if you need them :). Once I shimmed I stopped digging into my stockpile.

mjkaliszak

I would take salmonbum's advise. Then add the " tower brace " also. I had to do alot of dinking with mine ( 09 shorty ).