08 Venture starter problem?

wags

Ok so after driving around the lake siteseeing we stop to look over a cabin for sale, go to start the sled and all I get is a whinning like the starter is spinning.

Any ideas?

uncle_ed

Sounds like the bendix is stuck in the retracted position so it will spin but remain shy of the teeth of the drive clutch which is what it needs to contact to engage and spin the motor. When you turn the key the bendix should jump out and contact and engage the clutch and then as the motor starts and the key is released retract away from the clutch. Look at this contact area for obstructions, build up or anything that could cause the benix to stick in the retracted position. Give it an old fashioned rap with something and see if it frees up, sometimes that works. It may just be going bad and need replacement but inspect it and see if you can free it up.

jimfsr

If the battery is weak, it wont spin it fast enough to engage the bendix (throw it out) into the starter ring. Try a full charge and see what happens...

whitedust

Sounds like the bendix is stuck in the retracted position so it will spin but remain shy of the teeth of the drive clutch which is what it needs to contact to engage and spin the motor. When you turn the key the bendix should jump out and contact and engage the clutch and then as the motor starts and the key is released retract away from the clutch. Look at this contact area for obstructions, build up or anything that could cause the benix to stick in the retracted position. Give it an old fashioned rap with something and see if it frees up, sometimes that works. It may just be going bad and need replacement but inspect it and see if you can free it up.

X2 something blocking bendix or not lining up to engage. Could be simple & never happen again. Get another buddy & lift that monster up & slam it down if you can't access starter easily. Might just line up start & drive off.

wags

Motor had to come out to access the bolts which sheered off inside, was able to get the studs/bolts out with a magnet now it's putting it all back together.

After doing some research this is not the first Venture that this has happened to but not very common, although it is on the Vectors.

wags

Darn good question, I have no idea but someone(a Yamaha service tech) said that with the 4 strokes at idel there is so much "jerking" going on that they losen up and at some point when you take off using full throttle the tork sheers the bolts that have come loose.

Who know's anything is possible I guess but one wouldn't think a sled with only 400 miles would have something like this happen.

whitedust

Must have been loose from the get go with only 400 miles. Sounds like they have seen this before on 3 cylinder 120. Is this new fuelie or old carbed 120 Venture engine?

uncle_ed

Not the first time starter bolts have come loose on a sled. I had a brand new sled with 150 miles on it and the bolts fell right out. When you reinstall the starter I would make sure the bolts are torqued to specs and maybe even use some blue loc-tite.