09 ski doo 800 problems???

brown50rn

I have a 09 ski doo 800 reneagade and I took it on its first trip to the UP last week, ran great the first two days and on the third day it ran like it was on one cylinder, checked the plugs, they looked great and had 150 compression in both cylinders, It sounds kind of like a four stroke and runs weak. it also leaked some anti freeze that the dealer said there was a recall on and he would change it when I got home. Anyone else have any similar problems with their machine. Needless to say I wasn't real happy my new sled with 280 miles sat on the trailer my last day!!!!! I was thinking its probably something in the computer, no warning lights came on the dash. Does anyone know Scott at Scotts repair in Christmas??? He looked at it and couldnt figure it out either. He also thought it was the computer. Good Guy! Thanks in advance for any replies.

snodogg

thats a bummer, I had a similar experience, stuck at Henry's, ended my UP trip 1 1/2 days early, sled was acting up, checked everything twice, was convinced I had a carb/fuel problem got it home in the shop and found where my spare belt had rubbed against a spark plug wire causing intermittent spark on one cylinder.

good luck thank goodness for warranty I hope

1blue99srx600

Just an FYI, if you don't go on dootalk a lot or are not a member, do a search on your problem first before you post, if it is a topic that is brought up often, they will respond telling you to do a search. That has been my experience. The site is very helpful though and many of the posters know their stuff!

Last edited:

salmonbum

Anti Freeze leak is common for '09. The system is very wierd and holds pressure forever. I can let my sled sit for a week and the coolant looks low in bottle, crack it and it will fill right up.

Anyway, Doo used some stupid clamps in 09 and the hose mfg has made tehe hoses undersized in the OD. When you ride the sled all will be fine. When you let it set outside and its cold, the hose will shrink to a point the clamp is not tight. Throw in a pressurized system and you will have a leak. There is a TSB on it for dealer to replace all the clamps with screw type. Thero housing, front bottom of motor, rear bottom of motor (Front Heat Exchanger) and clapms behind airbox (rear exchanger).

brown50rn

Thanks for the replies, I am going to have them fix the clamps, even though its not a big deal I dont think I should have to mess with the cap at all. I had a decent amount of anti freeze under the sled after sitting all night. I hope the reason its running weak is something simple!! I am taking it to the dealer Monday, I will keep ya posted on what they say. Thanks.

skidude67

Anti Freeze leak is common for '09. The system is very wierd and holds pressure forever. I can let my sled sit for a week and the coolant looks low in bottle, crack it and it will fill right up.

Anyway, Doo used some stupid clamps in 09 and the hose mfg has made tehe hoses undersized in the OD. When you ride the sled all will be fine. When you let it set outside and its cold, the hose will shrink to a point the clamp is not tight. Throw in a pressurized system and you will have a leak. There is a TSB on it for dealer to replace all the clamps with screw type. Thero housing, front bottom of motor, rear bottom of motor (Front Heat Exchanger) and clapms behind airbox (rear exchanger).

Salmon....

Do you know if that TSB applies to the '08's as well? I am losing coolant (albeit very slowly) on mine and I can't find where it is coming from!!

brown50rn

sleds fixed

They sais It busted two bolts in the primary, which was causing the clutch not to work properly. Which would explain the loss of power. Replaced the bolts and they said its good to go. As far as the anti-freeze leak they said sometimes with the new clamps they leak when they cool down after a ride causing them to expand. I guess they made them to thin and have since made better ones, but not all of them leak so you only get the new ones if your original ones leak. With all that said Its back and ready to ride!!!! They said there was no damage to the clutch, so I hope this is the last of any problems!!!