1-30-2012 Snowmobiler runs over ice fisherman/student in UP. Your help is needed.

windingtrailgal

WOW!! I thought this was just an accident with someone being stupid...after reading the article? Find a nice tall tree for this sledder!! Unreal that he did this on purpose!!

FlyingRev

Struck on PURPOSE ???? omg !! That should require some type of "Use of Deadly Force" charge and law enforcement should absolutely throw the proverbial book at the guy. Hope like heck they catch him. I am a fisherman and a sledder and can respect and appreciate both sides of public ice usage but there is absolutely nothing that fisherman could have done to provoke that.

Hope the injured person is ok,,,,

chords

Sounds like << Sled vs Ice Fish = MI Speed Limit >>

If I could figure out how to put up a link to JD I would.

wolfy

Sounds like << Sled vs Ice Fish = MI Speed Limit >>

If I could figure out how to put up a link to JD I would.

This is the link to this thread:

Code:
http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?33239-1-30-2012-Snowmobiler-runs-over-ice-fisherman-student-in-UP.-Your-help-is-needed.

buddah2

Apparently there's more to the story than what's being reported. According to a friend with close ties to Delta county the Delta county sheriff has interviewed the perpetrator and has yet to file charges. Not to say there won't be charges simply that they haven't been filed as yet.

Polarice

Yep that dude shouldn't be on a sled or any vehicle for that matter. It sounds like he shouldn't even be allowed in public.

mjkaliszak

That's bad for the sport.... bad for the kid injured, compound fracture is protruding thru the skin......
We normally stay away from Marquette, too many sled nazi stories and this is a testament to why !
It's actions like this that give snowmobiling a bad name.

Last edited:

lesledhead

ESCANABA -- Police have identified a possible suspect in a weekend snowmobile rage incident near Ansells Point in Garden.

The Delta County man was interviewed Monday by a police detective.

According to the Delta County Sheriff's Department, the confrontation between the snowmobiler and ice fisherman happened when a snowmobile came dangerously close to a tip-up set out by the fisherman. An argument ensued according to police.

The suspect then allegedly accelerated the sled toward the fisherman. He was struck by the snowmobile and suffered severe injuries.

The prosecutor will decide what, if any, charges will come of this. If it turns out to be an assault with a motor vehicle, the suspect could go to prison.

"Well, a person who willfully and purposefully runs over someone and hits someone with a snowmobile could face an assault charge," said Delta County Sheriff, Gary Ballweg. "But again, it remains to be seen what the circumstances were. Did the victim have anything to do with the incident or was it vengeful in nature or was it an accident?"

Ballweg says it appears the victim and the snowmobiler knew each other through a previous dispute.

The victim was listed in stable condition as of yesterday

mjkaliszak

Have to admit... didn't know where garden was until I googled it. My bad, I just assumed since they said he was a student. Never could figure out all the " controversy " with the marquette area ? I just thought it had to do with it being the biggest city and most populated.
Sorry....

Polarice

Have to admit... didn't know where garden was until I googled it. My bad, I just assumed since they said he was a student. Never could figure out all the " controversy " with the marquette area ? I just thought it had to do with it being the biggest city and most populated.
Sorry....

What controversy?

I've heard a lot of people say that the only thing snowmobilers do is drink. Is that what you're talking about?