10hp Johnson outboard lower gear case

800le

the vent hole on the lower gear case on the front side just above the prop shaft is draining oil and water mix, but when I drained the gear case to see if there was any water in the lube it was not contaminated. Anybody got any ideas?

snake

a picture would be ideal! but I am guessing that the hole it is coming out of is an 1/8 th inch? is the oil black? what color is the lube that is in the case? I'll check back!p.s. I am a marine tech. for 20 yrs. plus

800le

hey snake yes that is the hole . and the oil is milkyfoam realthin. I just bought the motor a week ago. It runs great shifts fine. Just built an engine stand and was laying on the floor never leaked before. Today was the first time I started it and thats when I noticed the drainage from that area. When I drained the gear case the lube was green. When I picked up the engine the guy told me that he had the impeller replaced and gear lube changed.

800le

Oh by the way snake is that a drain hole or a vent. Also the model year is 1965. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will but I believe you know what I'm talking about thanks

snake

if it is about the size I mentioned, then it is a drain for a cavity, that could pocket water. but if a shift shaft o-ring or d.shaft seal was leaking, it could come out this hole.

skidoolis

does this help
117474.jpg

booondocker

Take your finger and dip it in the oily mess and smell it.

Does it smell like gear lube smells (if you forgot what that stuff smell like, buy a tube and smell it)

My guess is that the guy used too much 2 stroke mix (hey, more is always better right>>???) and now that you are storing the unit upright, it drains the engine well and over time it will drip black 2 stroke oil out the vent which is designed to be sure no water is trapped inside the foot so it won't freeze.

But I am no outboard mechanic and maybe the hole you talk about is something different. I don't believe there is any venting hole to the drive gear area...and it should be sealed up with solid bearing seals at both the top of the drive shaft and in front of the prop.

800le

I built an engine stand and used a small household trash can to start the motor and apparently the drain hole was positioned just right to suck in all the excess gas oil mixture that floated to the top so when I removed the can that is what drained out because I did run my finger along it and that smelled like gas and exhaust mix with water. Since then I had a chance here the other day to run it in the lake I live on and it just drained water like its supposed to. That hole I learned on iboat.com in a boating forum is a cavity drain hole.