1989 Indy trail won't stay running

milkmilkmilk

Haven't been to this board in a long time but I've run into a problem with my backup sled.
Got it fired up preseason and thought I had it running pretty good but I guess not :p
Right now if I pour a bit of gas in the cylinders it fires but will not run, I have gas out of the tank but not after the fuel pump. I pulled the inline fuel filter and it's pretty gross, put my finger over the inlet of the pump and didn't feel any vacuum. Am I right in thinking the pump is shot along with the filter?

heckler56

It could be the the pump is clogged from the fuel line eroding. That happened to a 1992 Indy Trail I had.

milkmilkmilk

New gas and cleaned the carbs as part of the preseason prep.
Need to pick up a filter yet, I was going to look for a salvage pump, but how are the rebuild kits to install? If it's not too bad I could give that a try instead.

Really easy. Just take out the two screws securing it to the airbox and disconnect all of the fuel lines. Once you have it on the bench take out the screws that are securing the pump head cover and pull it apart. Replace the Diaphragm's inside and clean the pump out with cleaner. Put it back together.

If it's not secured to the airbox then its probably attached to the front of the tunnel underneath the carbs. You have to go under the sled by the drivers to loosen the nuts.

Last edited:

milkmilkmilk

Sounds good, I'll see about getting the parts ordered! Thanks!

ETA On mine the pump is located in the belly pan just left of the engine (left side if you were sitting on it) is this normal? And more importantly will it affect anything to leave it there?

Last edited:

dofo1

If you decide to rebuild your pump make sure you keep track of the order that the parts go together, I like to start with all of the new parts and then just start replace the item one at a time.

There is another thing you may want to check. the fuel line that goes into the tank can be rotted. If you look there is a fitting where the fuel line goes into the tank, go ahead and un-screw that fitting and the pick up should come out with it, if not fish it out though the fuel filler and replace the hose that it should be hooked to and re-install.

milkmilkmilk

Hey thanks for all the help, got it running tonight!
Just need to dig it out to get an official test ride in but it seemed to run well :)