1996 Polaris RXL.

mikes99ss

So I was asked by Skiroule to post about my RXL build. So at the very end of last year I bought a 1996 Polaris RXL because I've always wanted to own an Xtra 12 sled (picture #1) It started and ran and I got it for a really good price so why not. Fortunately we had just enough snow for me to get out and do 20 or 25 mi on it. At least check it over and understand what I was working with. (Picture #2) I had no hand warmers but other than that it seemed to run and drive just fine And with that began to tear down. (Picture #3) I was fortunate enough to stumble into a part sled for a hundred bucks and change, Always a great thing to have around for these builds. Most of my builds are handled in a matter of tear it all apart, make your grocery list of what you need. Start buying stuff and then reassemble. I'm about 1/2 way through the rebuild as it sits. It's now a running sled anyway. (Picture #4) I'll make a more detailed list of the build on the next post if anyone is interested in what it takes to do one of these builds and I'll update as it takes shape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214-192249.png
    Screenshot_20240214-192249.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20240217_171342562~3.jpg
    PXL_20240217_171342562~3.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20240707_155228059~2.jpg
    PXL_20240707_155228059~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20240818_165926514.jpg
    PXL_20240818_165926514.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

mikes99ss

So the build list...
Remove hood and windshield
Remove belly pan by drilling out 37,000 rivets.
Remove seat and mud flap
Remove bent handlebars
Remove rear suspension
Remove front suspension and shocks.
Remove track and drive shaft
Remove both clutches along with entire exhaust

All of the above hit repeat on the parts sled...

Rear suspension....
Remove all wheels and install new bearings..14??
Remove shocks and disassemble them to be sent for rebuilding. Remove and clean all cross shafts to ensure that they move freely, grease and reinstall along with replacing one of the shafts because of a broken bolt. Slides were good enough for this year.

Front suspension...
Remove and disassemble shocks for rebuilding. Repaint them and install new fox stickers.
Remove trailing arms and inspect....they are too rusty and I don't trust them. Ordered new ones..
Remove, clean and paint all radius rods using the best ones between this one and the parts sled. Ordered new tie rod ends and installed.

Chain case....
Remove chain case, remove all internal parts(Holy crap, this thing has reverse!!!!) 2 new bearings reinstall all parts, track down a reverse cable, reinstall and fill with oil.

Chassis....
I decided not to pull the motor as it seemed to run good on my 20ish mile test drive so, I brought it to work and steam cleaned the crap out of it. Sanded and repainted exhaust. I replaced all fuel lines with high pressure hose. Installed new fuel filters (3 of them). 2 new bearings on the PTO side drive shaft and jack shafts. Remove, cleaned and reinstall spindles along with new bushings.
Cleaned and re-greased the steering post and pivot point making sure all moves freely.
Replaced handlebars with a set from an XLT in nice shape. Took apart the dash and painted the face plate, cleaned and reinstalled all gauges. Tested hand warmers and determined I had a bad switch. Replaced, tested, toasty. ;-)

Clutches...
Remove and disassemble both primary and secondary clutches. Primary needed a new spring, new weights, cleaned up the sheths and a good degreasing. Secondary needed a new spring, remove all parts, clean well along with sheths, reassemble both and reinstalled.

Parts hunting...
Found a sweet seat off an XLT very similar to OEM one, had to replace seat bolts, install electric fuel gauge into the tank install a return fuel line. (Only the RXL's have that) Replaced the tail light backing plate.
Found a new set of trailing arms. Ordered and installed new trailing arm decals
Found the windshield I wanted (Man, I hunted for that one) ordered new Polaris gripper plastic skis with loops and new carbides.

Next up... hoping to repaint the hood myself, Paint the tunnel. Been watching plenty of YouTube videos on that one. There is a print shop in Slinger wi that thinks he can reproduce decals so if the hood turns out good from my backyard paint job I'll utilize him. Install new thumb warmer.

Finalizing...
Align and tension the rear track. Set ride heights, align front suspension and skis, set belt deflection. Set all handlebar controls how they fit me. Test drive, check all lighting and warmers, a good general look over making sure all bolts are tight. Fill the tank, go do a 50-60 mile ride, recheck and call it done!!!!

Last edited:

skiroule

YES!

I think a lot of people on here can relate to the wedge sleds and they will follow this build closely whether they comment or not.

I’ve only ever seen one RXL in person. A buddy of my brother had one and I remember it being pretty fast and could run with the later XLT and Ultra models.

Great summary of what has been done and what is to come. I laughed out loud about the 37,000 rivets (which is only a slight exaggeration) and the 14 suspension wheels (not an exaggeration).

I hope you will get “down in the weeds” with us as this build moves along. The little details really provide a sense of just what is involved.

whitedust

RXL was an extra 12 beast but plush ride. The efi had a nice power range where the Storm was not even at all was on or off. Fitch efi or whatever it was called was short lived with Polaris. I had a Polaris 99 1200 but only would buy the carb version. Unfortunately Polaris quit the PWC industry shortly after 99. 😕

hermie

The reason the efi disappeared on sleds from Polaris is it sounded like they borrowed the technology. There was a lawsuit filed and soon after no more efi sleds. It's too bad because it worked well and overall reliable. Mike looks like you actually found a pretty clean sled for that age. Very nice.

mikes99ss

Always one step forward, one step back. I scanned the EFI system and everything checks out, installed the reverse cable (That one fought me). Drilled out the Ski spindle bushings from 3/8 to 10MM. All of the newer skis use 10MM bolts. Could not get the belt deflection i wanted so I took apart the secondary clutch and realized the washer between the two halves is not correct. Ordering new one this week. Also need to trim the slides down about an 1" or so because it's catching on the track clips when I use reverse. As I always say, just keep solving problems until there isn't any left to sold.
PXL_20240901_170324506.jpg

hermie

You got the magic box for Polaris efi sleds. Very nice with that all problems with the efi system are much easier. You don't see those everyday anymore.

mikes99ss

No you don't, I had to pay up for it. It doesn't really do much other than allow you to see sensor values to tell you if they are working or not. The only adjustment you can make on the entire system is throttle position angle.

hermie

Yes it was definitely a simpler efi system that didn't allow for adjustments. I use to work at a small engine shop late 90's and we would work on efi sleds for some of our customers. Just knowing the value of the sensors and being able to set throttle position angle is very helpful. For some reason a lot of them would need the throttle position reset. It definitely makes a difference on how they run.

mezz

Mike, have you thought about cutting a taper at the end of the slides rather than shortening them? Just a thought.

mikes99ss

Mike, have you thought about cutting a taper at the end of the slides rather than shortening them? Just a thought.
Exactly what I'm going to do. I've actually been thinking about this, it's really hard to explain why slide length is so important when you have reverse. But when you run your track backwards, it tends to grab much more than if it goes forward.

J.Glenn

Awesome project! Lots of details going into it. Maybe a dumb question, but as I read the second post, specifically the part on the front suspension, where does a guy find Fox Shocks stickers from the 90s? Just curious here that's all.

skiroule

It's little details like the decals that really make a build stand out.

I used to poke a little fun at eBay but now I can't believe how much stuff I've bought off the site. In fact, just today a secondary showed up at the house.

skiroule

Mike, based on one of your earlier posts, I gather that you've talked to the people over at Sled Printers. I've only dealt with them once (on the Chaparral project) but they were super to deal with. Corey was the fellow I worked with and he was extremely helpful. I'm hoping to have them modify the graphics slightly on the Cyclone project, pretty sure they can pull it off. I've seen some othe custom work they have done - very nice.