1999 Skidoo Legend 583 reverse issue

jim_golding

A friend of mine from work was asking me about a reverse problem on his Skidoo he had last week. It worked fine the first couple of time during the day and then tried it again and it would not engage right. The reverse lever would stay engaged and would beep but it sounded like the gears were not engaging properly- grinding sound. The sled runs fine going forward. I don't have any experience with Skidoo's but to me sounds like a linkage adjustment is needed. Anybody have any ideas where he should start looking?

Amazing enough, he was not aware of JohnDee!! I thought everybody was, however after showing him what information is on the site I think he will become very familar!!

S_Bach

Skidoo 583 Update

Thanks for posting this Jim. Actually, upon further review my machine is a 583 Formula. I checked the manual and it does have a chain tension adjustment. Can anyone give me an idea how likely this is to be sucessfull?

longtrack

There is a adjustment on the Linkage where the Shifter Linkage goes into the Chain Case, try and lengthen it a bit and then try it again, sometimes if Salt gets in the threads on the adjuster it will be frozen and you may have to buy a new adjuster linkage and they are pricey, good luck.

The Chain can be tightened by removing the Pin and turning the Bolt clockwise. Hand tight only, do not use a Wrench it will be overtight. Your Chain may be jumping but it is usually the Reverse linkage that causes the horrible Grinding noise.

Last edited:

marty700

On the mechanical reverse (as opposed to the electronic reverse), there's a locking nut on the linkage. Loosen the locking nut and adjust the linkage until it engages. Then tighten the locking nut. That's all there is to it - takes about five minutes.

S_Bach

skidoo 583

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot tomorrow night and report back. Hey Longtrack-my in-laws are from Merrill. Is the ice good enough yet there? I hear some ice fisherman took a swim in Lake Alexander over the holidays.

S_Bach

Success!

Adjusted the chain tension-took about 1 turn. Nothing. Same grind.
Added a little fluid and lengthened the linkage by a turn-works like a champ!

Thanks a bunch. Hopefully I can help the next guy.

longtrack

Happy I could help out, We ran the Groomer across Alexander Today and it made it across. The Road is also Plowed now after Scott dried his Truck out from the incident a couple weeks ago.