2 cycle oil consumption

Matt Z

Does anyone know the expected average oil consumption on a 2014 550 cc fan cooled engine averaging about 40 miles per hour on the trail.

tyeeman

That's a pretty loaded question. It all depends on snow condition, , is the snow like sugar, powder, slush, how many riders, , , you get the picture. The oil pump delivery is directly related to how much throttle input you have.
For sake of discussion, you could ride 60 miles in complete slop and burn a quart of oil. Your fuel consumption will suffer as well.
On the flip side, you could ride 60 miles on a smooooth fast trail and use maybe a 1/3rd less fuel and 1/3rd less oil or something to that affect. This of coarse all depends on if your oil pump/cable is adjusted correctly.
I'm going to assume that your 550 is a Polaris fan cooled Fuji motor. On average you could plan on 1qt of oil per 100 miles, that's playing it safe.
I have a 2010 Polaris IQ Tour 600. Two days ago the trails up in northern MN were really sugery. I road 65 miles and burned the better part of a quart of oil.
Yesterday, the trails were a bit more beat up so I cruised a bit slower. I burned approx 1/3 less oil and fuel.
Best bet, , always top off your oil reservoir before you ride cuz you'll never know how far you'll ride past your planned ride.