2 Questions

I've been meaning to do this for a couple weeks and keep forgetting.

John,

1. If we have a really wet Fall (like I'm having at my house) will the saturated ground freeze faster (frost set in) than say a dry Fall. I'm not sure how weather related this is but figured I'd get your take on it.

2. Is there a "perfect" temperature for lake effect snow to form? I know pressure, winds and humidity play a role as well but was wondering if 20 degrees can really get things going. To cold and nothing will happen correct?

Thanks,
Paul

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paul.

Ground that is saturated will take longer to freeze than dry ground. Heat is gained and lost very quickly through solids like that which make up the ground. Adding moisture to that setup will just slow the transmission of heat.

There is a temperature range where LES is heaviest and it runs from around the mid teens on up. As the lake water temps cool, then the high end of temps also has to be lower, but we have had some pretty heavy LES with temps in the mid 30's in the early season- even last week.

Once temps get really cold, then the air is also typically very dry and does not allow the flakes to get too big and you end up with small flakes and lower LES totals. Although it is possible to have big flakes and big LES totals when the air is in the single digits and low teens too.

-John

Thanks John, I didn't think of that regarding the moisture in the ground.

I remember 2 years ago we came up when you guys were suppose to get pounded with lake effect and none of it materialized due to it being so cold. That sucked. LOL

Thanks again!