2003 pro x 800 primary clutch sticking

jrunning

My clutch will not open all the way making the sled die when slowing down and stoping. I got looking around today and found 1 of the 3 weights is stuck up by the roller. Any ideas what could cause this and what might fix it?

willey

Rollers probably have flat spots on them. You will need to remove the primary and take the clutch apart to examine the rollers. I would also suggest checking the buttons on the spider. You will need special tools to hold and disassemble the clutch. May be better suited for the dealer or a repair shop. Tools are spendy!!!

rp7x

stuck wt

the bushing in the wt's are probly worn out this can be fixed in the sled if you have to

sleddog66

May be as simple as rollers and weights, but I doubt it. If you waited until the clutch is sticking, I bet the parts list will cost more than a new primary. The 800 is known to eat clutches. Pull off the clutch and if you don't have the tools to rebuild, take clutch to your dealer. If you find out that you need a whole new one, and you choke on the price, I have a very low mile clutch from a 02 800 I'll sell.

likinit2

Main bushing is usually the cause for the clutch to stick. Cleaning the clutch with brake or carb cleaner can swell the bushing making it stick as well. It is a good Idea to remove the clutch cover and make sure the weights bushings and rollers are all in good shape and keep them clean. If you have a tight main bushing you can get the clutch tools to get the clutch apart (investment) and hone the bushing until it slides freely again or press in a new one. Then there is the buttons and rollers and everything else to replace as needed. Also a really sturdy work bench and some 3/4 inch drive tools help too. I have also found that most all 800 clutches need to be shimmed tighter and then should be rebalanced. So, yeah.... Might want to find a take off like from the previous post....

Last edited: