2005 Skidoo GTX 500ss shock change

m10_mike

was wondering if anyone has any experience changing the rear main shock. Is it as easy as pulling the 2 rear suspension bolts, dropping the suspension down and getting to the shock. Or is this going to be a "pull the whole skid out" kind of a fix. Have plenty experience pulling 121" skids, and was hoping we could avoid pulling this longer skid completely out. Any feedback would be great.

vmax1994

I think its possible but I have not done it. I've seen threads on dootalk.com that have discussed changing both shocks on the skid without removal. Sounded like you needed quite a bit of know how and the right tools though. I think the poster was Ian at Monster Sports. I just replaced the skid shocks on a 2007 but pulled the whole skid. It would save you an hour or two if you could do it without dropping skid.

longtrack

2 Bolts one on the top of the Shock and one on the bottom and out it comes. 1 rachet wrench to turn and 1 regular wrench to hold and its out in 5 minutes.

You may want to think about looking at more than the rear Shock on a 05. I could probably find a bunch of problems. The rear Shocks on the 136 and 137 doo Sleds have been junk since day 1. I bought a rebuildable from Deycore and have it on my Sled. The original is hanging on the wall and I will put it back on when I sell it.

No need to pull the skid.A extra pair of hands can come in handy as will a block of wood under the center of the track to help with the center shock with the coil over spring.And a pry bar for the extra pair of hands one guy can do it but 2 is usually easier.Sounds like you have some exsperiance so look it over and common sense will tell ya the rest.Put top bolt in first and then the bottom this is where the bar and extra hands come into play.

revsikk

i'm not a big wrench guy and i did it without pulling the skid. replaced all the non rebuildable shocks with rebuildable ones.