2009 Polaris 800 Switchback Dragon

jayrob7

While riding yesterday my check engine light continuously flashed and it went into reduced power mode. I turned off the sled and turned it back on and the light went out with regular power. I discovered that if I slowly got into the throttle it had no problems, but then I gave it a lot of throttle the light would come on before it started to blink. If I let off the throttle the light would go off and I could continue. I could get the sled up over 80 mph slowly by applying a constant pressure to the throttle. I know that it is not water in the gas, because I only run 91 octane from BP and I always run the red bottle of heat went I fill up. Anybody ever had this problem? Could it be the DET sensor? Thanks for your help!

jayrob7

I am not a mechanic....lol Is the detonation sensor a plug and play part, or do I need to take it to a dealer?

900RMtanK

My 2010 800 did the exact same thing you described and it was the DET because I was having a slow burn down on the crank side. I should have stopped but that the point of the DET was to prevent this so I took it easy and drove last 20mi home. Took it in and had a hole burned through. :(

jayrob7

Well, 2 scuffed pistons, broken oil check valve, broken pinion bracket, and broken motor mount bolt that is stuck in the block! Needles to say WOW. And I thought that it was going to be a easy fix!!! They have to pull the motor to get to the bolt. I am having them replace the fuel filter, voltage regulator, and install a PVC. Not a cheap trip to the shop!

xcr440

How much ISO were you adding to the gas? If more than a splash per tank, I would change your habits with the new motor.

azmod13

2009 2010 800 mills had bad mapping that polaris could not get fixed, i blew 3 motors several ecu and finally when warranty was up i unloaded it at a big loss, i would cut my losses and move on. the 2011 800 was alot better.