2011 yami's

whitedust

Who knows will have to wait & see. Supertrax said they were guessing all the way cause Yam would not spill beans. Yam plays cards very close to vest so I stopped guessing. Thanks for tip but go over to TY they have 20-30+ pages different posts on subject.

ubee

Is it power steering or a more positive hydralic steering? the hydra can fit it tight engine compartment and be more positive than mechanical!

G

G

If the power steering is like the one already in use on some Yammy 4 wheelers it is a very simple and lightweight system. The crossplane engine has been rumored for months or years. That might explain the feeling of increased traction and overall smoothness. The current Apex 4 is not what a person would call smooth. It is very easy to break the track loose just because of the harsh power delivery. I actually like this feature myself but it can be hard on tracks. If they finally made the monoshock indestructable and better calibrated for the fat Americans that ride them that would be a plus, too. Unfortunately the thing will probably cost 14K.

chad66

why would you need power steering on a sled? just another thing to go wrong and break....

Why NOT power steering? Everybody complains about darting these days so hopefully if they do come out with power steering it will eliminate the darting which I would think it would. Just about all of the four wheelers are using it and people love it and it hasn't been a problem breaking on those.

Chad@M&M

Hoosier

I'm sure this sled is completely awesome, but reports like this don't give me a good feeling about the future of the sport. I can't see how the sport will continue if the price tags keep going up exponentially. For most, it's a short season. Most new sleds list for over $10,000. You can buy a pretty nice used car for that. They have to find a way to bring that down, IMO. Maybe they'll last longer now, but reading the forums they don't. The trail network depends on having a minimum number of sleds out there, and these price tags have to scare off new people from getting into it. Hopefully I'm wrong...

scott_b

looks like the same chassis to me...

Attachments

• 2011apexfront_1.jpg
    2011apexfront_1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 2011apexrear.jpg
    2011apexrear.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 2011apexside.jpg
    2011apexside.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 190
G

G

I'm sure this sled is completely awesome, but reports like this don't give me a good feeling about the future of the sport. I can't see how the sport will continue if the price tags keep going up exponentially. For most, it's a short season. Most new sleds list for over $10,000. You can buy a pretty nice used car for that. They have to find a way to bring that down, IMO. Maybe they'll last longer now, but reading the forums they don't. The trail network depends on having a minimum number of sleds out there, and these price tags have to scare off new people from getting into it. Hopefully I'm wrong...

There is no denying that new sleds are expensive. However a person does not have to buy a new sled to go snowmobiling. There are a lot of decent sleds out there to buy that are less than five years old and don't have many miles on them. There are still a fair number of hard cores out there who have to have the latest and greatest. Their median age has increased. There are very few 20 somethings that have the ability or desire to spend 12K on a new sled. That is the single biggest thing that has changed about our sport. As a general rule we are older. Whether that is good or bad for the sport I don't know.
Yami produced very few sleds for 1010. They are cleaning out the pipeline. The Apex has remained essentially the same sled since model year 2006. Yes, a few little tweeks here and there but mostly the same. There are many,many folks on Totallyamaha looking for something new and different. I myself would order one if they can get the crossplane to work right in a sled.
In the near future I don't think we will be able to go to a showroom of any brand sled in the fall and simply buy a new model year sled. All the mfgrs have been stung with this oversupply mentality. A person is going to have to order it and possibly pay for it in the spring or you simply won't get one. They won't make extras. Could happen.

Hoosier

Grub - that's exactly what I did. Last winter I bought an 06 Fusion 600 with 200 miles on it. Paid less than 1/2 what the guy did before me. I think he planned to ride it more than he did.

Got my eyes on a 2010 Vector next, now that they have eliminated the engine breaking on them. Will that to wait a few years probably though.

whitedust

I luv 4s engine braking & hope it stays with Yamaha 150. It is soooooo useful coming in hot in tight corners. I would really miss it!

600hoic

Banned
Buying a left over new sled or low mileage used sled with only last so long. A year, two, maybe three. Then we will be faced with new leftover sleds going for $8000 since their MSRP was $10,000-12,000. Low mileage used sleds will continually go up as well since the price of new sleds is going up. You can already see this happening with the used sled market now. Low mileage used sleds will continue to disappear because of the price of new sleds. Guys will not be selling their old sleds in lue of buying new. Prices need to come down and/or they need to make these motors more durable and include a 4-5 year full coverage motor warannty. If these things do not happen this sport will surely die. The sport is already just too expensive for younger people, or even older established people to get into it.

kingston_phazer

it looks nice but yamaha needs to come out with a nytro based chassis with more power then cats z1 turbo but yamaha's need's to be naturaly assparated that would be a big game changer

whitedust

Buying a left over new sled or low mileage used sled with only last so long. A year, two, maybe three. Then we will be faced with new leftover sleds going for $8000 since their MSRP was $10,000-12,000. Low mileage used sleds will continually go up as well since the price of new sleds is going up. You can already see this happening with the used sled market now. Low mileage used sleds will continue to disappear because of the price of new sleds. Guys will not be selling their old sleds in lue of buying new. Prices need to come down and/or they need to make these motors more durable and include a 4-5 year full coverage motor warannty. If these things do not happen this sport will surely die. The sport is already just too expensive for younger people, or even older established people to get into it.

Not sure where you are coming from 600hoic? Yammys spring 4 year warranty already there plus you can buy as much YES as you want 4-5 years whatever? I do agree price of used Yams going up because 5000 miles on well maintained 4s Apex is nothing. Overall prices of all sleds brands going up because we demand more performance each year. Used old tech will sell cheap & fill in price gaps. Talked to 2010 4s GSX owner yesterday & he said trading in this Spring & did not care that he would be taking big hit. He does nothing but start up sled & ride...rides hard puts up wet for 1 season trades in starts over again each year with new model. Seems crazy but buyers lining up for his used sleds.

600hoic

Banned
That is exactly my point! Buyers are lining up for a used sled because the price of new sleds are getting too high. As the new sled prices keep rising more and more buyers will be looking for a good low mileage used sled. These good low mileage used sleds will keep decreasing because guys will either keep them a little longer or there will be less of them available due to fewer people buying new. And I realize Yamaha offers a longer warranty but what about Poo, Doo, and Artic? I am talking about a 4-5 year warranty on all new sleds with no increase in price. Sleds are already over priced. Compare a sled to a motocross bike or a ATV. Way over priced. And if the market goes to all 4 strokes forget it. Too heavy, try pulling one out after being stuck.

whitedust

Since it was a Yamaha thread I thought you meant Yamaha sleds. I agree I don't know how AC, Poo & Doo can compete with Yamaha 4 year warranty. Doo could up warranty on 4s maybe etek too but Poo having all kinds of problems with engines & AC ok on 4s side but way behind the EPA ball on 2s engines. It will be difficult to hold new sled prices down eat warranty costs & spend on R&D. Maybe best to stay with platforms much longer & make them bullet proof as only way to make money & satisfy buyers.

ktm909

power steering

I don't post much but what about a steering damper like the type used on motorcycles as a way of controlling darting