2016 Polaris pro s 800

cpaum

Hey guys. Anyone else have a new pro s. I have been riding the piss out of mine and enjoy the sles. After doing some different setups for my riding style. The sled handles great. Just would like to hear plus or minus from anyone else. Add anything or change?

snowchief

I have a 15 and have barely broke in with 450 miles, im trying to get the rear end to hook up a little better seems as the front is pushing down too much I have been playing around with the suspension and I think im real close maybe im just being a little too fussy cause the things hangs in the corners like a dream Ive noticed a big difference when I move forward or back as far as hookup too seems to have a ton of power haven't got to open it up yet but hit 85 with the thing going down a nice road trail in WI and felt like I was going 45 I like the gps gauge so far kinda nice not worrying about my map bag although its hard to get use to not having the map to look at I have noticed that not all the trails are on the gps. I put the 1.35 cobra track on mine also instead of the 1.25 rip saw. the led headlight is awesome I just have the little storage bag behind the seat it came with and the windshield bag so not a ton of storage will probably get the rack with the bag at some point also got the Polaris gauntlets for them cold days in wide open terrain they are nice.

I have a new 16' 800 LE and have 700 miles on it , It handles like its on rails where ever I point it it goes , had to play with the shocks but I'm getting closer to what I like so far so good

C

Cirrus_Driver

Really looking hard at this sled right now - love the Walker Evans. Like hearing all the opinions. My Pro-R is pretty awesome too. That track hooks up without studs like nothing I've ever seen, and practically overpowers the 6" triple points.
Never thought I'd see that. Scott tried to sell me on the 8", never thinking I'd need the extra 2", but apparently that guy knows his stuff. No surprise.

Last edited:

ChillyWilly521

I have a 2015 SB 800 Pro-S and I've only gotten about 50 miles on it so far and it's amazing. I'm also looking for things to upgrade

1) 8" triple points,,, really?
- I had TP on my last sled and loved them so I want to get another set, but I do NOT have a studded track. YOu really think 8"
2) I'm a big guy 250+ so everything I'm hearing is get the ProX shocks for FST & Rear,,, but you can leave the front alone.

I'm also thinking rack system, but not the saddle bags,,,,, I just think that look of those bags is just 'off'.

snobuilder

20141209_151453.jpg
Set everything back to factory settings.
Add preload to fts for more hook up.
The ripsaw is a great all around track but in some conditions you simply need studs.
I added 144 studs and it works well.

oldguy

I have a 2016 SB 800 with 1400 miles so far. I weigh 250++ , just cranked up the rear spring under the seat and set the shocks stiffer and that seemed to work for me. I have had nothing go wrong with it so far. Oil usage still seems a little high compared to the 800 Etec ‘s we ride with, even after the 18 hour breaking period. MPG is about the same as the Etec’s. Storage is horrible so I put a rear Skins tunnel bag off my 2012 SB that I customized to fit.

My neighbor bought a 2015 pro S 800 last year. He loves the sled. He said he has yet to be beat in a race with it. New motor has tons of power! Said the ride is great. He liked the sled so much that he went out and bought another one. He now has a 2016 pro S 800 too.

69CRUZR

I too just bought a 16 pro s switchback. Have about 350 miles on it, and so far I like it. Only things I've added are the skins bag that goes over the rear X arm on the suspension for storage (great addition, can bring oil,hat, extra gloves and a hoodie) and took the 3-6 inch adjustable risers off my iq shift and put them on this. All stock cables. Made for nice improvements, especially the risers. I'm 6'2" and when I first stood on the sled with stock bars, it was by far the most comfortable sled I've ridden standing up in stock form, almost didn't put them on... but now that I did I'm glad I did! Huge difference and it plays into the other posts on here about weight transfer..

I could not get this thing to transfer weight to save my life in stock form. Incredibly planted on the front skis and literally handles like it's on rails...and then some. And if I was the guy in a group of buddies racing the trails non stop at 85mph plus it would be a winner everytime..but I'm not. I ride with the fiancée 90 %of the time and while average speed might not always be super high I love to wheelie and play in everything I see. Only problem is its so anchored on the front skis it barely even pulls them off the ground! And I will admit, I'm not ready to blame the sled, yet. I have ridden sleds pretty hard for a while now BUT, never had even close to this much suspension adjustments available. I just set the rear spring as stiff as it goes and rode it in the past.

So with this thing, when guys say add preload to the front track shock, are you doing that with clickers or by turning the actual coil spring to change the compressed height? I have a buddy with a 14' indy 800 that says it's so light and wild in the skis he has to throw himself over the front to get the carbide to dig, and then it will inside ski lift and wheelie at any flick of the throttle in the corners. ..while I don't want it that extreme, I do want some kind of compromise so I can feel a little on the wild side! My switchback is as wild around corners as a train on tracks...literally. but then you go to cross a road and feel like your going to do doughnuts in place pivoting on the inside ski because the track has so little pressure on it, I've literally had to bounce on it to get it to cross a road! No joke it was just spinning!

Long story longer I love the sled don't take it wrong, I just feel my novice abilities in suspension tweaking are holding me back. I'll give up the ability to corner dead flat at 80 mph to gain the ability to be able to pull the skis without looking like your nephew trying to do it on his indy 340 lite... any suggestions?

snobuilder

We'd need to know your weight and what adjustments you have made so far. Read your manual... it has great charts and illustrations on setting the susp. up. Take it back to factory set up as shown in the manual and work from their. When I mentioned FTS, I meant add some preload, but if you already cranked up the preload on the RTS like on your previous sled, that would be why you aren't transferring weight.
The weight transfers over the FTS like a teeter totter.

snowchief

69Cruzr I was having same problem as you I looked over the manual and have been tweeking with ever since so I did another adjustment after a ride today and went out tonight Im no expert by any means and still haven't got it totally dialed in but I am roughly 200lbs with suit on and I have pry 8-10lbs in my small rear bag. I reset all the clickers back to factory setting for pro s so all the way soft then 3 clicks to the hard. I put my front shock pre load at 3", my front track shock at 1 7/8", and my rear shock at 2 1/2" and I noticed a huge difference in the way the front lifts up not as much as my 2013 pro r did but its getting there I don't think this sled is designed to be like that I think this thing is made to run the rails but I think there is a happy medium somewhere. now it seemed to dart quite a bit so ill be going out tomorrow and might try couple small adjustments see if anything changes but for me it still seems like I need more traction because if I have good traction the front end comes up no problem but without the traction the fronts a tank so I think that might be more of the issue. In the manual it talks of moving your limiter strap as well but not recommended so it might come to trying that

Last edited:

69CRUZR

6 foot 2 210 lbs roughly. At first I adjusted only the rear track shock and then later went up a few clicks on the front track shock, which did help but not as much as I was hoping for, maybe I just need to keep going and will get the desired results, just haven't played with it that extensively yet, don't want to get it too far away from factory settings and be way off. But that's what makes me question things is it seems SO front heavy from the factory I wondered if I just wasn't used to the new sled or something. And yes I do know I need to read the manual, have been trying to make a point to find time to do it, but with working 14 hr days, planning a wedding, and all the other things I feel like life's been a crazy busy whirlwind lately, working 14 hr days to hop right in the truck at 8pm and drive 6 hrs up to the U.P just to be able to ride. Doesn't leave much time for reading, but I know I need to do it and it's all totally worth it! Thanks for the input guys.

Oh and my one big question still... track shock preload, are we talking using the clickers or spanner wrenches on the coil springs? I don't fully understand how changing them separately will affect the ride, and have only been adjusting by clicks.

snowchief

Oh and my one big question still... track shock preload, are we talking using the clickers or spanner wrenches on the coil springs? I don't fully understand how changing them separately will affect the ride, and have only been adjusting by clicks.[/QUOTE]

By preload that's the tension on the spring itself. It shows I think for factory 2.75" on rear and 1-1.25" on front track shock and 2.5'' on front shocks once you see the diagrams in the manual it will all be made really clear. Clicks weren't doing it for me either but now that Ive been messing around with the springs I am getting real close

C

Cirrus_Driver

Not sure this is relevant but I think so, my Pro-R with standard carbides felt very light and unplanted on the front end. I don't play with limiter straps or spring adjustments, other than the sag-in on the rear which I have the dealer set for my weight. I use the Walker Evans clickers to adjust for conditions. I always thought the Pro-R had unbelievable traction at the expense of a somewhat light front end. After putting the Triple Points on it with shimmed ski's and ski-savers, I think the sled plants very well in the corners, but it is quite variable to trail conditions. I haven't ridden enough with the Triple Points to know for sure, as I just put them on, but last weekend in relatively lousy conditions, and warm temps, it seemed to be adequately planted in the front end. It doesn't rail like my Vector did, but clearly there isn't the same amount of weight over the front ski's on a Pro-R.

What I think is, Polaris took what they learned from the Pro-R Rush chassis and shifted the Pro-S AXYS balance to the front end, and possibly over-compensated. The clue to this is, I've never had a sled hook up without studs, the way my Pro-R does with the 1.25 track. I think they knew they had a balance problem with the chassis, and went too far the other direction. It's funny because most people say they love the AXYS chassis, this is the 1st real criticism I've heard about it. You have to wonder about these engineers that can't design a balanced sled. There is no way the average Joe should have to be drilling holes to move a limiter strap. I've heard some criticism about the competency of the Poo design engineer's, from some very reliable sources.

69CRUZR

Finally caught up on some reading of the manual. One question, I see the coil spring adjusters are knurled...can you really adjust these by hand? I would assume a spanner wrench is required, I have not tried yet.

snowchief

the rear spring and the front track spring I could move by hand the front two shocks have a locking nut on top of the one the springs connected to once you get the lucking one loose (I used a hammer and punch) then you can spin it by hand.

Anyone else get a sore behind from the seat.

snobuilder

Not sure what your compksint is 007. Did you say you have an AXYS?
Mine is great at factory settings plus about 1/8" additional preload.Best balanced sled on the market.

Last edited:
C

Cirrus_Driver

No complaint on this end, I was just reacting to what others were saying about their Pro-S. Seemed to be complaints about too much weight over the ski's. My Pro-R seems fine now with both triple points installed, but I only have a couple hundred miles on it with both installed. I rode it 1/2 year, last year with one triple on the outside ski. I lacked a little forward bite, but in limited riding I'm satisfied with it now.

snobuilder

No complaint on this end, I was just reacting to what others were saying about their Pro-S. Seemed to be complaints about too much weight over the ski's. My Pro-R seems fine now with both triple points installed, but I only have a couple hundred miles on it with both installed. I rode it 1/2 year, last year with one triple on the outside ski. I lacked a little forward bite, but in limited riding I'm satisfied with it now.

Ok...I think the shocks work as a package on theAXYS. I wouldn't take one of the shocks to sn exreme one way or another all by itself.

69CRUZR

Well yesterday I got to play around on a lake for the entire day, was there for a radar run and played with the suspension while tooling around the lake. I have to say it was the funnest day of riding it yet and I wasn't even trail riding! Didn't touch the spring compressed height but did go up multiple clicks on the front track shock and WOW what a difference. The sled is almost a perfect balance now and will do anything I want it to! Even hooks up way better now that its transferring weight, yet still corners fantastic. I'm definitely glad I kept tweaking because it feels like a completely different sled than the one I rode on day #1. Love the sled, can't ask for anything more!