3rd meat ?

mtb1115

Getting ready in the morning to fire up the smoker to cook the brisket and Boston butts for the 4th....... I can't decide what to do for the 3rd meat (besides brats, burgers and dogs)..... I could do my Dad's Brontosaurs burger ( 3" thick cut round steak in a wet rub grilled in a london broil style) or turkey breast or whole chicken on the spit and of course cut up chicken grilled and BBQ...... what sounds good ? BTW: 30 to 40 peoples....

Attachments

• DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 64

chords

993742.jpg It all sounds good as the eater. Cant go wrong w burgers for a second (third meat) first snack later.

mjkaliszak

I have had good luck doing chickens ( whole ) with the Weber "Kick n Chicken " spice as a rub. There is alot of die hard chicken eaters out there. I must add ... I'm not one . I might have put cut up apples inside to help with moisture.
Just my .02

jr37

Pork Ribs- Use 1 cup bbq sauce of your choice and 1 can of frozen lemonade (thawed out), mix it well and use as the marinade. Let the ribs sit in the marinade for 12-24 hours and then grill. Brush the marinade on the ribs when they are close to done. If the lemonade does its job, the ribs should fall of the bone.

nhra1000

Getting ready in the morning to fire up the smoker to cook the brisket and Boston butts for the 4th....... I can't decide what to do for the 3rd meat (besides brats, burgers and dogs)..... I could do my Dad's Brontosaurs burger ( 3" thick cut round steak in a wet rub grilled in a london broil style) or turkey breast or whole chicken on the spit and of course cut up chicken grilled and BBQ...... what sounds good ? BTW: 30 to 40 peoples....

Wish I was there for the brisket(addicted to that stuff)....side note: was just down in Joliet for the race...grew up down there.

Start with 3 lbs of ground up hamburger. Add that, ranch style sun chips, some beer (any kind), packet of dry ranch. Mix it all together in a ice cream pail. I do my burgers this way. Turns out awesome.

MZEMS2

Your meal is over by now Im sure, but I can vouch for the ranch burgers that "rider" ^^^^ is referring to. Pretty tasty when cooked over a campfire!

garyl62

So how about an update. What was the final choice and got any photos of everything in the smoker?

mtb1115

DSC01618.jpg The brisket and boston butt turned out fabulous, I went with some cut up chicken and some extra wings and legs which I marinated and pre cooked in a roaster then finished on the grill. People's appetites were a little light due to heat, but I won't complain about having some left overs (first time ever)..... The ribs sound good, which was my original plan but I'll have to them when we have a smaller group (feeding 30+ = $$$ at 3.99 to 4.49 #) and I will try the ranch burgers when I go back to work... I may work it in to my 50/50 burger, 1/2 fresh ground beef and 1/2 fresh ground (raw) bacon.... Darn, I'm getting hungry again.

frnash

… I may work it in to my 50/50 burger, 1/2 fresh ground beef and 1/2 fresh ground (raw) bacon.... Darn, I'm getting hungry again.
Here ya go, The ‘merica burger — a patty made of 100% ground bacon topped with a slice of thick cut bacon, a sunny side up egg, a new “bacon island” dressing and a heavy slice of bacon cheddar cheese. Bacon on bacon on bacon! ;)

Last edited:

garyl62

Looks and sounds good. I'll need to get the smoker out and do a brisket or butt. This dang diet though from the "did you get fat this winter" thread is putting a big damper on a lot of my cooking this summer.

mtb1115

LOL, I have heard about the 50/50 burger place, when I get out that way I will stop.... My take on theirs was about 75% fresh ground beef and about 25% bacon (raw), I had to chop it but grinding it should work, you will have to keep the bacon cold and may need some ice chips and bread to force it thru the grinder..... cook like any other burger and enjoy.... If I wanted an all bacon burger, I'd probably just fry up the pound then grill & BBQ it (thick cut works best)...