4 stroke vs e tec

Treis

Guys
I am In the market to upgrade from a 2009 Renegade with 5000 miles to a new/used sled. I am not aggressive but like to hang with guys at times. Trail rider in Wisconsin. Also about 40 percent of the time I have a passenger on with me either a 10 and under kid or a wife. I purchased the 2 up seat and back rest from a dealer last week. It works great!! I am leaning toward a gsx le or se.

I love the power of the e tec but would like some info on a four stroke and why they are being purchased over a e tec. Gas mileage is about the same right?

Thanks tom

longtrack

I have 3 1200's and they have way more power and torque than a 600 2 stroke. I change Oil once a year @ $40.00. My last Sled was a 600 Etek and it ran ok with some issues because it was a 09. Gas mileage is about the same with a 1200 or a 600 Etek unless you drive slow. Then the Etek is better. We double the mileage of a average Rider and the 4 strokes out last the 2 Strokes. Also you can put E10 in a 4 Stroke and not worry about it melting down.

I want my Wife to try a 900 but I do not think it will have enough power for her.

Bottom line is I have owned 20-2 Strokes and 3-4 Strokes and I have no plans to ever buy another 2 Stroke and all my friends that have Doo 4 Strokes feel the same way for Trail Riding. Mountains and deep powder riding is different.

I have a GSX LE and a SE plus a Grand Touring. If you ride Double go with the SE or a Grand Touring and the heated Seat is nice also.

old abe

Bought 900ace renegade for my wife. Have been pleasantly surprised with this ride. I was concerned that it would not be capable in power or handling, but no such issues. It will not pull with the E-Tec 600 on the top end, but from 0 to 65/70 super hard pull. 65 to 90 it tappers off. Have seen 90 on both speedo and GPS. This was in farm fields, not groomed hard pack. I think many people will be surprised at how this sled performs. MPG looks to be 22 plus, another surprise. E-Tec will also get 20 plus MPG. Both very good choices. 900 not a high speed racer, but will be hard to beat on trail performance. Can,t wait to get this thing to UP and Canada!

russholio

I would concur with what longtrack said. He covered it pretty well so I can't think of anything to add. My 1200 doesn't get quite as good fuel economy as did my 600 SDI, but I don't have to feed it 2s oil so it probably works out to be similar in fuel costs. Ours are both 2013's so I have no plans to replace them anytime soon but when I do it sure won't be with 2-strokes again. I have seen the light! :)

whitedust

Not going to find a used Ace 900 just released so need to look a 600 Ace or 1200. 600Ace like a fan hp wise so that leaves doo 1200 which is aok for hp130ish 4s but don't buy without new e-drive clutch installed old tra clutch could not take the 4s broad powerband other than that good engine & sleds my eperience would be on GSX so go with 137 track for 4s hookup.

russholio

Also...if you have time go on DooTalk and check our the 4s forum. Plenty of reading there to keep you occupied for hours!

I agree with what the others have said - the 1200 4 stroke is a great engine. We have a 2013 GSX LE and a 2014 MXZ both with the 1200. They pull stronger than the 600 SDI's we had previously, and no issues in 1000 miles. Don't have to add 2 stroke oil, so that is a minor savings. I don't see myself going back to a 2 stroke.