89 el tigre burns fuel fast

twodogs

I put about 5 gallons of gas into the tank, my son ran the sled for about 15-20 minutes and it was gone. I added about 2 more gallons and that two was gone in just a few minutes. I do not see any noticable fuel leak. Does anyone have a suggestion or two.

jimfsr

check if the main jet fell out of the carb and into the bowl. I have seen this happen. Or the float is stuck down, but the carb will usually leak fuel under those conditions.

G

G

Are you sure there are no leaks? I am guessing you probably do not have new fuel lines on the thing. If fuel is pumping out between the pump and the carbs it will go away quickly and may be running right out the pan so there is nothing to see. Put it up on a stand and get it running. This will get the pump pumping. Then take a light and get up close and personal with all the hoses running from the pump to the carbs. Move them around a little to make sure none are leaking. Do not get tangled up in the drive clutch when you are doing this.

mjkaliszak

If floats are stuck ? You could have a case filled full of gas. Might want to pull the carbs & reeds and have a look in there.

My relative had the exact sled. It sucked. Always had a problem. Had a similar problem just like this one that your having. Found it to be cracked fuel lines coming from fuel pump. It wasn't just one line, it was a couple all at the same time. If this is the solution to your problem, change them all, fuel line isn't too expensive, and it would be bad if any of that fuel would start to squirt on your exhaust or motor.

twodogs

Thanks guys. I now at least have some ideas on what to look for. A few years ago my buddy say's "hey this guy I know is selling a sled for $600 apiece but will only sell the sleds as a pair, wanna buy one with me" I bought the damn thing and I've ran it what, three times in like 5 years. Oh well what are friends for. So I decided to fix it up and let my daughter who's 8 beat on it. Thanks again.

ubee

I had same sled. bought used,guy cleaned his own carbs ,had needle and seat in upside down , hard to believe but the sled acutully ran but poured fuel thru it !