90 phazer used to be locked up

catcrazy

I picked up a 90 phazer the engine was locked up. I pulled the plugs and spun the bolt on the primary turning the motor over. Put the plugs back in started for 2 secs and locked up again. Just turned the motor over at the primary again and then pulled it and it started up and have been running on and off all night now with no problems. Anybody have any ideas what it could or couldve been. Thanks

uperjim

Those Phasers are bulletproof. Pull the plugs and look with a light at the top of the pistons--look for dents etc. If something came loose you should see nicks in the domes. Also a compression test will tell you allot. Newer Yamaha liquids (600cc) had an issue with the ring keeper and the ring would rotate and the end would get caught on the port. Never heard of this issue with a Phaser but I suppose it is possible. If everything looks ok put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder --pull it over a few times by hand and run her! Maybe your rings were just rusted to the cylinders from moisture.

mikes99ss

sounds like you just got some rust in the cylinders. I would put some oil in the spark plug holes as you are trying to free it up. maybe even spray some fogging oil in the carbs as it's running. It should clear up and run just fine. P.S. I always like the red and white look of those 90 phazers....good luck with it!!

yamahopper

Sounds like you got a good deal. I used to have one just like it. I bought it from a great friend and I was very pleased with it.

mfire8

Ya right on for the old sleds just picked up 90 ovation for free from a buddys dad for my daughter. Doesn't need much except a seat cover. Runs great!