99 550 Super Sport hard start

wishbone

Neighbor guy was moving away and needed to dump his sleds so I picked them up on the cheap. I knew my brother in law was in the market, so I figured the little 550 would suit him well. Neighbor was a tool but I figured with a "little" work the 550 would be fine. Had a little trouble getting it running but figured a good carb cleaning would have it popping off fine cause it runs good when running. Started cleaning sled up and to my dismay found not one but two cans of either, one in trunk and one in dash bag :-(! Compression test is even but only about a 100 lbs after three pulls. Sled has 7500 miles on it.
I cleaned the carbs and still took 10-15 pulls to get it fire. So I raised the inrichiner pucks and it seemed alot better. Sat over night in shop and started on second pull a few days in a row. Sat about 3 days and it took 25 pulls. Warm it starts and runs fine. Carb drop tubes are not leaking.
Think it need to be rerung? Is this a Nikasil motor? Ideas? Thanks

catalac

My boys Z370 was having the same issues. Cleaned carb and changed the pilot jet and that was the problem. Needle was bad, or something was stuck in there.
Good luck.

ridindirty800

Neighbor guy was moving away and needed to dump his sleds so I picked them up on the cheap. I knew my brother in law was in the market, so I figured the little 550 would suit him well. Neighbor was a tool but I figured with a "little" work the 550 would be fine. Had a little trouble getting it running but figured a good carb cleaning would have it popping off fine cause it runs good when running. Started cleaning sled up and to my dismay found not one but two cans of either, one in trunk and one in dash bag :-(! Compression test is even but only about a 100 lbs after three pulls. Sled has 7500 miles on it.
I cleaned the carbs and still took 10-15 pulls to get it fire. So I raised the inrichiner pucks and it seemed alot better. Sat over night in shop and started on second pull a few days in a row. Sat about 3 days and it took 25 pulls. Warm it starts and runs fine. Carb drop tubes are not leaking.
Think it need to be rerung? Is this a Nikasil motor? Ideas? Thanks

I could be wrong but I think you should be about 120-130 compression on that sled?? Someone on hear should know the numbers you need to be at but 100 seems low and would cause a hard start. Maybe time to rebuild top end.

raceinsnow

If the sled has not run in a long time then a compression test at 100 psi with three pulls sounds about right. Now after you have had it running a few times the compressoin should be higher provided your gauge is accurate. When you do the compression check you need to pull the engine over untill the gauge stops moving up then that is your reading and it should be around 120 or more.( again it depends on the gauge because everyone is slightly differant) On the fuel system on thing you should check is the fuel pick up line in the gas tank. I would bet that it is cracked or broke right off.If that happend then remove the tank-seat and drain gas and clean tank out.

mikedrh

The 550 Super Sport has cast iron liners and can be bored.

At 100 PSI it should start and run without pulling it 25 times.

Have you drained all fuel and started with fresh 91 octane or better yet non ethanol fuel. Have to make sure inlet needle and seats hold pressure. Fuel pump issues or even fuel line rotted off in fuel tank. chokes need to be adjusted proper also,Just some ideas