99 XCSP electrical problem

jim_golding

My son was driving his 99 XCSP 500 on a club ride this weekend when the lights went out and then about 1/2 mile later the sled stopped as if someone turned off the key. We checked the all of the obvious stuff (kill switch, key, electrical connections, etc), for the cause of no spark, but we found nothing. We did note a faint burnt electrical/plastic smell but we could not tell where it was coming from. I have not pulled it off the trailer yet, but I thought I would ask and see if others had the same issue. The sled has about 7500 miles on it, if that matters. Good thing I brought a spare sled along for him to ride the next day.

www.kettlerangesnowriders.com

toolie

I have a 99xc 500 and i also had some eletrical issues. It would die just like you hit the estop. Found out that the choke cable casing was rubbing on the main harness coming from the the mag side causing short. Didn't realize till night time and then i could see it arcing. A little e-tape and good to go.

xcr440

Check for a rubbed wire, down under the carbs on the recoil side. I had an intermitted engine cut out on my 99 XC 500 a couple years back. Ended up being part of the wire harness that was routed in a bad way that it was rubbing against either the choke or throttle cables (I forget the exact details now, but it was obvious). I taped it up, rerouted the harness and I've never had a problem since.

jim_golding

I am thinking the same thing such as a shorted wire. When I bought the sled about 5 years ago I noticed the wiring down by the recoil looked a little damaged/melted. I fixed it and relieved some of the tension on the wires as it seemed to be pulled real tight at the main plug connection. That is where we plan on looking first. The only reason I posted on here is I had some guys in the club say it was the main coil or CDI, so i figured I would throw it on here and see what others think.

xcr440

I have a 99xc 500 and i also had some eletrical issues. It would die just like you hit the estop. Found out that the choke cable casing was rubbing on the main harness coming from the the mag side causing short. Didn't realize till night time and then i could see it arcing. A little e-tape and good to go.

Toolie, you beat me to it! I must have been a slow typer.

BUT, this is exactly what I found now that you mention the exact cable! I did re-route it as well, because it just didn't make sense as it was, and rubbed on nothing afterwards.

toolie

Toolie, you beat me to it! I must have been a slow typer.

BUT, this is exactly what I found now that you mention the exact cable! I did re-route it as well, because it just didn't make sense as it was, and rubbed on nothing afterwards.

Yeah, I didn't have time to reroute. But that would be a good idea. Will reroute this sumer.

likinit2

Sounds like a good candidate for a PERC kit! Comes with CDI, Main wire harness, oil pump, secondary clutch and handlebar switch. get the correct flywheel and stator (if needed) and you know it is ready to go. Might want to check the thermistor first though, seen that one before.