A Necessary Evil?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it's why they call them "smart phones". But sometimes, they're not smart enough as the following story will indicate.

A new iPhone feature is causing problems in dispatch centers all across the state of Wisconsin due to false crash reports.

Apple’s crash detection feature automatically makes emergency calls after the user’s iPhone or Apple Watch detects they’ve been in a severe crash. However, the feature seems to be going off for people snowmobiling.

Bayfield County Sheriff’s Office reports that on Sunday, January 15, 2023, they received multiple automated messages from iPhones reporting crashes that did not happen.

“This feature is great in theory, but when people don’t answer dispatch and dispatch can hear snowmobiles driving around, it is a drain on resources in the area,” said deputies. “We have found that this feature is very sensitive while snowmobiling.”

Polk County Sheriff’s Office is also reporting a similar issue, stating that not only is this feature limited to snowmobiling but also to ATV/UTV rides and downhill skiing.

“It thinks our crazy fun snowmobiling, riding an ATV/UTV, or even downhill skiing is actually a crash based on the noise and jostling of the phone,” added deputies from Polk County.

Law enforcement is required to send out a welfare check on all 911 calls, thus draining resources from fire, law, and emergency service departments.

Those with the crash detection feature can turn it off in the settings. This feature is only available on newer iPhones, so those with older versions may not have to worry about the setting.

Anyone who wishes to keep the setting on should monitor their phone in case dispatch sends out a call to their phone. If users turn the setting off, they are encouraged to turn it back on once done snowmobiling.

On Apple’s support website, it says that crash detection is designed to detect severe car crashes. When a severe car crash is detected, an alarm is sounded and an alert is displayed. The alert says it will trigger Emergency SOS if the user does not respond.

pclark

All the reason to understand that we have all sold our soul to big tech, Apple being one of the worst by checking that little box that says we agree with everything or our phone will not work unless we do.

wiscrev

All the reason to understand that we have all sold our soul to big tech, Apple being one of the worst by checking that little box that says we agree with everything or our phone will not work unless we do.
Most iof not all groomers are volunteers. Heck, people don't even want to work for a paycheck these days, how are you going to get volunteers to groom 24/7? We are having record crowds at the World Championship Derby and have been short both weekends for volunteers. Mose people attending since the early 2000's and we finally have the mfgs support and all 4 mfgs represented in the WC in over 2 decades.

pclark

Most iof not all groomers are volunteers. Heck, people don't even want to work for a paycheck these days, how are you going to get volunteers to groom 24/7? We are having record crowds at the World Championship Derby and have been short both weekends for volunteers. Mose people attending since the early 2000's and we finally have the mfgs support and all 4 mfgs represented in the WC in over 2 decades.
I'll let Shoot to Kill answer that one, I was replying to Gary's post on iphone settings. I do agree with you about the volunteers in the sport, many thanks to them and most are older I would imagine.

wiscrev

For clarification-----Should have worded better. 942 entries for Vintage, don't have numbers on WC, but the crowds were very big. Not like the 90's but we were sold out on Hot Seats and Corporate Suites. The hill on Friday and Sunday were extremely well attended. Nice to see a big crowd. Most I've seen there in over 10 years. [record crowds for the new owners] You can go to https://www.facebook.com/DerbyComplex/ for pics and videos.
Pic was taken early Saturday evening.
327127702_1235686063972926_5926171481643524754_n.jpg

Last edited:

wiscrev

What a great photo! the new owners, and racers must be pretty happy with the turn out.
Tks. I'm the Track Chaplin [10th year] and yes all of us were really excited on the turnout. Trying hard to get back to what it was in the 90's. First year in over 2 decades that all 4 mfgs were on the track for the WC. Also, all 4 mfgs are supporting. Could be a great sign for the future. While our ice was extremely thin this year because of weather [we like 16-18" and we started out with only 8" for the Vintage races]. I talked to several of the WC guys about the ice and they were not complaining about conditions. I think a lot had to do with what was accomplished this summer as the track was completely reconfigured, graded and resurfaced to try and get rid of frost heaves. Worked well as I think the only one we couldn't get rid of was one by the paddock where the racers enter the track.

wiscrev

Great Picture, Rev. You are Blessed!
Thank you. I am blessed but can't take credit for the pic. It's on WCDC Facebook and just shared it. There are lots of great pics and race videos on the site,---check it out. I even made it into one of the pics but you cant see my face. I'm down on the track for the ceremonies and in the background that is me with a full face badger fur hat on my head. When it's cold or windy I wear that on the track to keep me warm. I'm wearing a red WCDC jacket.