Actual sled weights.....wet as we ride them

snoden

Snowtrax just released a video of sled weights (not every sled). A lot of the very popular models, it was interesting to say the least.

indy_500

So they can’t tell us the difference in dry verse wet on the Yamaha? And a Doo adds 150 lbs when wet?? Last time I checked 10 gallons of fuel weighed 60 lbs. add in a little injector oil and some coolant, and you’re only halfway to 150… I’m not buying what they’re selling. Not to mention they didn’t show the skis on the Yami when the lifted it up, and frankly it only looks like the rear end was going up.

Last edited:

xsledder

So they can’t tell us the difference in dry verse wet on the Yamaha? And a Doo adds 150 lbs when wet?? Last time I checked 10 gallons of fuel weighed 60 lbs. add in a little injector oil and some coolant, and you’re only halfway to 150… I’m not buying what they’re selling
I would trust a scale over an engineer's estimate of dry weight, any day. Cat doesn't publish their dry weights because they know they are that far off. So, it would be easy to say since Cat doesn't publish them, neither would Yamaha. BTY, the weights are listed on the sled for Cat and Yamaha. On the IMSA sticker on the top, back of the sled's tunnel. They are in kg. My XF 7000 HC is listed as 275 kg (275 * 2.204623 = 606 lbs). My ZR 6000 Ltd. is listed as 273 kg (273 * 2.204623 = 602 lbs). So, there is 2 kg (4 lbs.) difference between the two sleds.

indy_500

I would trust a scale over an engineer's estimate of dry weight, any day. Cat doesn't publish their dry weights because they know they are that far off. So, it would be easy to say since Cat doesn't publish them, neither would Yamaha. BTY, the weights are listed on the sled for Cat and Yamaha. On the IMSA sticker on the top, back of the sled's tunnel. They are in kg. My XF 7000 HC is listed as 275 kg (275 * 2.204623 = 606 lbs). My ZR 6000 Ltd. is listed as 273 kg (273 * 2.204623 = 602 lbs). So, there is 2 kg (4 lbs.) difference between the two sleds.
So fluids in a Yami only weighs 50 lbs and fluids in a Doo 150??? They have some fairly similar Polaris sleds on the list. Wet weight adds 117 lbs on one sled but only 65 lbs on the other? Something doesn’t add up, and it doesn’t take a college degree to figure that out.

snoden

In reality "listed" dry weights are for selling product. It's the same with dream meters, just because your speedo said you were going 120 doesn't mean you were actually going 120. I think Doo is a little off on their dry weights, ok a lot. The scale doesn't lie and you're reaching with the ski comment, they are off the ground. To be fair I think the Doo holds a few more gallons of fuel so things could be adjusted with equal fuel loads.

xsledder

So fluids in a Yami only weighs 50 lbs and fluids in a Doo 150??? They have some fairly similar Polaris sleds on the list. Wet weight adds 117 lbs on one sled but only 65 lbs on the other? Something doesn’t add up, and it doesn’t take a college degree to figure that out.
Don't assume the engineer is taking every rivet, bolt, clap, etc. into account when figuring the listed dry weight. Also, at what point during the design of the sled did the engineer make the calc, and did they adjust the calcs throughout the design process? Material change here, material change there. Material thickness adjusted here, material thickness adjusted there. Etc. Etc. I highly doubt getting the sled's exact dry weight is the first thing on their minds. Plus, I am sure you have a marketing fudge factor in there.

If you don't believe them, weight your sled with all the fluids topped off and without removable accessories and see where it comes in at.

indy_500

In reality "listed" dry weights are for selling product. It's the same with dream meters, just because your speedo said you were going 120 doesn't mean you were actually going 120. I think Doo is a little off on their dry weights, ok a lot. The scale doesn't lie and you're reaching with the ski comment, they are off the ground. To be fair I think the Doo holds a few more gallons of fuel so things could be adjusted with equal fuel loads.
Skidoo gas tanks are 9.5 gallons. Which is probably smaller than yamis.

As far as the ski comment, believe what you want, but you could NOT SEE, they showed the least amount of sled in the Yami video, with the ass end going way up in the air whereas all the others were lifted “balanced” and showed the entire sled.

Scouring the internet I found a guy who weighed a brand new 129” MXZ 850 at 580 lbs (which is heavier than I thought) And a 2017 sidewinder ltx at 690 lbs.

I’m pretty sure manufacturers would be getting sued if their dry weights were 50+ lbs off.

Just being a realist here…

whitedust

With my Enduro I can easily lift it without snow after a day of riding with snow pak I couldn’t budge it. So snow pak adds a lot of weight to any published weight by OEMs or independents. Personally I don’t care about weight for trail riding never did and why I’m a 4s only buyer.

Hoosier

Does the S4 come with a 100 lb boat anchor?

Hard to argue with a scale and I don't see their incentive to lie, especially for Yamaha. Doo and Poo pay all their ad money.

indy_500

Does the S4 come with a 100 lb boat anchor?

Hard to argue with a scale and I don't see their incentive to lie, especially for Yamaha. Doo and Poo pay all their ad money.
The s4 was advertised with an extremely heavy dry weight so no surprise there.

snoden

Correct...Doo is lying about the sleds dry weight. Not rocket science here. It adds up pretty simple for me. Wet weight minus listed dry weight equals difference of added fluids. What doesn't add up is what the manufacturer list as dry weight. So, if you subtract the fluid weight, let's say 75lbs. from the overall wet weight you will get the correct dry weight.

Hoosier

It's probably not a big deal but I would have weighed them with fluids but with an empty gas tank. If doo has 9 gallons and poo 12, that's 20 lbs. I'd rather not penalize them for having a bigger tank since the smaller tanks just require you to add a gas carrier to stay even. Although, I don't think I've noticed my sled riding different with a full tank vs an empty tank.

snoden

I forgot to add that Yami list the sidewinder at 587lbs. dry. Wet weight was 667lbs. so that's 80lbs. for fluids. Looks right to me.

snobuilder

So they can’t tell us the difference in dry verse wet on the Yamaha? And a Doo adds 150 lbs when wet?? Last time I checked 10 gallons of fuel weighed 60 lbs. add in a little injector oil and some coolant, and you’re only halfway to 150… I’m not buying what they’re selling. Not to mention they didn’t show the skis on the Yami when the lifted it up, and frankly it only looks like the rear end was going up.
LOL...Doolusional.... 667# is heavy....Yamaha heavy...was your doo heavier?... my 2012 EPS Vector is 622 on 3 analog scales and my 2010 nytro is 572 on the same 3 scales.
The 2015 Poo 800 SB AXYS is 522.

snobuilder

LOL... what does it matter if you like your rides?

Last edited: