Advice on older machine

I'm looking at an extremely low mileage Arctic Cat 400 4x4. Has under 500 miles on it. 5 speed manual transmission with automatic clutch. Has a winch as well. I'm looking to use this in the woods for dragging limbs out to the field to be cut up for firewood. Not full time. The guy is asking $1700. It is a 2004 I believe. Any thoughts?

jonesin

if you dont want it I do!
LOL
seriously, I dont know that machine but I use a 98 polaris sportsman 500 for hauling wood in a wagon, plowing snow, hauling rocks, over 7000 miles on it and the spedo was broke for years
If the thing has been used enough to keep seals good I would give it a shot, 500 miles is like new....

Thanks guys. I also found a '02 Polaris Sportsman 500 with 5K miles on it. Winch, etc too. Both are same price. Polaris looks cleaner, but has more miles.

jonesin

until last year I had zero problems with mine
finally replaced the cam and rockers and she is back to working like a dog, exhaust lobe was worn right off
Cam and rockers are really easy by the way
I hauled too much wood, dirt, boulders to count in a home made steel wagon on a subaru axle

There was a problem with cams and lifters wearing on Sportsmans. I don't know exact details but when we went to get parts for a 700 he knew exactly what part numbers we needed and everything. I have an 03 with no problems yet but it only has like 1600 miles.

jonesin

Mine ran great until the day it didnt, I still cant believe it was running with the exhaust lobe basically gone
I was still pulling a 5' wide heavy steel drag in 4x4 to level my daughters horse riding arena the day before it started popping through the carb....
you have a LOT of miles left!

Thanks for everything guys. I found two very clean old machines in town here. One is a 1998 Suzuki LTF500F. Only has 3900 miles. One owner. Some plastic isn't perfect, but it's been cared for. I thought hard about buying that, but bit the bullet and got the more expensive, cleaner 2000 Honda Foreman 450S. Cannot figure out how to load pictures. If anyone is looking for a unit like that Suzuki, I will give you the information.