AirVenture in Oshkosh Day 1

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day One of E.A.A. is in the books for me. My shift started at 6 a.m. and I've never been a "morning person" but the payoff is we're done by early afternoon and have the rest of the day to do as we please. I guess to start things off, we had a crash today when a small plane came in way short of their runway. Two people lost their lives when they crashed and burned in a farm field within sight of AirVenture. Prayers for their families.

One of the perks of working an event as large as this, are the people you meet from around the globe. On Saturday, I struck up a conversation with a guy by asking where he's from. He didn't respond right away, he kinda dropped his eyes and quietly said, "Butler, Pennsylvania". I blurted, "Thee Butler, Pennsylvania"? "Afraid so, I guess every town is famous for something, and that's gonna be ours from now on." I could tell he felt bad about the circumstances and I sure hope his visit to Wisconsin changes that.

I've got some pictures to share. Some are mine, some are from others and all are current. First off, a link to a series of Live Cameras that show the goings on 24 hours a day. Click on the link, select your location, and enter by clicking the arrow. It's just like being there!

If you own your own plane, and you fly into AirVenture in Oshkosh, they park you in what is referred to as the "north 40". About a quarter mile wide and half mile long, it's nothing but planes parked wingtip to wingtip. Owners typically will pitch a tent next to their plane for the duration of their stay. I took this one as we were leaving the airport this afternoon.
Air11.jpg

Not sure how long this Old Girl will be in town, the B 52 landed Sunday afternoon. Surprisingly, I saw this plane on their final approach from our home in Neenah, about 10 miles from the airport. She's almost 70 years old and still active! Meet the BUFF.
Air10.jpg

Now, going from one of the largest to one of the smallest, and frankly, nothing more than a kite with an engine....
the J-1 of Barnstormer Waldo Pepper!
Air6.jpg

Last for today, I've gotta get my Yuks in somehow, if you look closely at the following picture you'll see a real nice airplane.
See ya next time from Oshkosh B'Gosh!
Air 7.jpg

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, there are so many planes here that a squadron wouldn't be noticed. But yes, there are a lot of 51's here, maybe more than usual in the warbirds area. The shape and sound are unmistakable.
air11.jpg