Al cam/wx station

SANTE230

Hi John! How often do you clear off the WX station top in the AL cam view? Today (1-4-17) you posted that you got 4" of fresh snow but the WX station top has over a foot on it. Just curious. Maybe I'm seeing an old image? I did clear my history and reopened the site. Thanks! Love this site!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Ha, ha.

Good question!

The honest answer is: "when I am not feeling too lazy to do it"!

The problem is that there is no longer a clear path to get to it to clear. When I was using the ATV and walk behind blower, I would keep the sidewalk along side the house going to it open. Now that I use Big Red, I really cannot clear that area, as there is a bit of a hill at the beginning that is just a bit too steep for Big Red/blower unit. So I have to climb over the snow that has dumped off the roof (currently around 4-5 feet deep) and then grab the roof rake and clear. So it takes a bit more prep (putting on boots, gators and proper pants) just to get there. I am trying to figure out a solution. I might even be able to sneak around the back side of the house. I wish I could train Huck or Millie to do it, as they love to go back there. Perhaps a hydraulic lift to tilt the platform to clear it? :)

-John

SANTE230

Thank you John for your quick reply. You've satisfied my curiosity and I understand your dilemma. I could possibly have a solution. If I may. Perhaps you could create a sled path with that awesome new Cat of yours. You could work the path along the woods line behind Wx station (camera background). Ensure it can be used for smaller sleds, say in the 120 size range. Then employ Gracie and Jakob to ride out there on their sleds via that trail you made. They could snowshoe close to the station and then work together to clean the snow off the top with a shop broom or something. You could throw em a couple bucks for a good job if you wanted too. Millie and Hulk could be there as well to check out whats going on. It wouldn't have to be cleaned off daily but maybe before big snow events or once/twice a week. And I think the dogs would be a good plan B if my idea won't work. Ha! I liked seeing the daily amounts. Especially during big snow events. I sure looked forward to waking up and seeing the top of that WX station with "18 to 20+" of fresh fluff on it. All happening overnight would blow my mind. Still does...

Thanks again John!

NLDOO

John,

Another option is to use an electric actuator to dump the snow off. It looks like a hydraulic cylinder but instead of oil in it there is a motor that turns a screw to extend the ram.

dfattack

use a drone. Fly it over to the platform and just hover for a minute or two. the lake effect powder would just blow off and you'd have fun doing it at the same time :cool3:

frnash

John,

Another option is to use an electric actuator to dump the snow off. It looks like a hydraulic cylinder but instead of oil in it there is a motor that turns a screw to extend the ram.
… then when the snow board reaches the maximum tilt angle, it trips a second switch to activate a screw driven blade to scrape off the heavier, compacted snow, then resets the device. Toss in a remote control near your recliner chair to initiate the whole process. :snowman:
use a drone. Fly it over to the platform and just hover for a minute or two. the lake effect powder would just blow off and you'd have fun doing it at the same time :cool3:
(It ain't all lake effect snow!)

Better add a remote sensing device to measure the accumulated snow as well; no need to deal with trying to read the snow coated "ruler":
Cam1.jpg

Next project: A set of screw driven roof clearing devices, also remotely controlled from that recliner chair! :victorious: