Allegheny Forest, Pennsylvania

Has anyone on the is board ridden the PA Allegheny area/NY connectors? If so how does it compare to UP ridding?
Looks to be about the same distance as it would be to head to the Kee or central UP. 7-8 hr drive.

srt20

Has anyone on the is board ridden the PA Allegheny area/NY connectors? If so how does it compare to UP ridding?
Looks to be about the same distance as it would be to head to the Kee or central UP. 7-8 hr drive.

I've never ridden there, but my in laws live right next to the park on the NY side. I'm actually going there this weekend for packer game.
The terrain in that area, is much hillier than the UP. It's a very scenic area. But the trails I've seen from the road in NY, look a lot narrower and not groomed as well as the trails around the midwest.
I'd love to ride out there, but last time I looked into a trail permit for NY, it was like $100. I might do it someday.

I'll let you know how the snow is. They aren't in the heavy LES areas, but do get plenty. But it also melts fast there, it's a warmer climate than here.

kp80

I have ridden on the boarder of NY and PA in the Allegheny Park State Park NY (Red House Lake) SRT20 was right about hillier terrain trails are narrower and are not as groomed as well as MI. I have only been in lower of Michigan and I prefer Michigan trails. With Allegheny you are hit and miss with snow. There is not that much services around in Allegheny too. They can get dumped on but not in the main lake effect area. If you want more snow look into Chautauqua Lake in NY has more services. IMO the trails are not marked that good and more dangerous with blind spots. Not sure what type of riding you do. If you are looking into big mileage you can do it if the surrounding areas have snow. Sat can get bumpy in a hurry. most other times you would be fine. Alot of the trails are on private private/farms so they want you to stay on trail. Western NY would be my recommendations with snow. Hope this helps. Let me know if any questions. It is about a 3 hour drive for us.

srt20

~14" of snow on ground in Salamanca, NY.
~10" in Bradford, PA

Above freezing yesterday, and looks to be above for next week. It's melting, I don't believe the ground is froze here either.

whitedust

Not sure about the trails but worked out that way should say flew in & it is dump & melt not cold like midwest where you can keep an inch for a week.lol.

snowpromod

We have a place in the ANF, there is no comparison to MI - the state park in NY is much better then the ANF in PA, PA is more concerned about Oil/Gas wells and logging . . . the majority of the trails see a snow plow at some point! The good news, it is very scenic and the majority of all the trails are on forest roads that have a good base and they do not need to freeze any swamps. It is very hit and miss, if you catch it right it can be a very nice place to ride for a weekend, I would go to Mi 100% of the time over the ANF. If you have any questions shot me a PM, I have running around the ANF for 33 yrs!!