Any JD'ers planning to ride southern WI Thursday or Friday?

StreetnSnow

Looking to get out tomorrow afternoon, & evening or Friday before the weekend traffic takes it's toll.

If anybody is up for hitting central or south central WI either one of those days, please post up.

skiyam

First we have to get the snow and then they need to open the trails! That may take until Friday night or Saturday......they don't really like it if you are on the trails before they officially open. I hope that happens quick!

StreetnSnow

I've got numbers to the county hotlines and will see who's open 1st. What's the usual lag between getting enough snow and trails being opened?

D

Deleted member 10829

I'm not in southern WI, but once we get enough snow, we unlock the gates right away. It's much better to get the sleds out and pack the trail before the first groom, IMO.

packerlandrider

I've got numbers to the county hotlines and will see who's open 1st. What's the usual lag between getting enough snow and trails being opened?

Varies incredibly, especially since trails in central and southern Wisconsin are almost always located on more wind prone drifting areas. If I remember correctly, two Decembers ago when we got a big storm (I think the storm happened on a Sunday), it took my dad (along with other club members) 3-4 weeknights working 6-8 hours each night to get our club's trails "openable" by Thursday at noon. All the signs were in place and ready to go, just took that long to get the snow moved around to be safe for riders.

Generally, if the snow comes in increments, clubs can work with it and once enough snow falls for the club's to deem rideable, trails can open within hours. However, when it just comes as one big blast, takes time to get out (take care of digging one's own property out) and check all the trails. Also, just as there is a point in which road travel is not advisable in a storm, so too is there a point in which work can't be done on the trails due to "bad" weather. I just talked to my dad, and while he is the ultimate forecast skeptic, he figures IF the predictions hold, he most likely won't be able to get out and do anything with the trails until Friday just due to how harsh tomorrow may be. Lastly, club members are as anxious to get out as any snowmobilers (especially after last year), but they have lives outside of the snowmobile trails as well, and Christmas is less than a week away.

With that said, I can't wait to get home Friday evening and start "working."

Last edited:

whitedust

First we have to get the snow and then they need to open the trails! That may take until Friday night or Saturday......they don't really like it if you are on the trails before they officially open. I hope that happens quick!

Yes....Going to have to be careful with this in WI farm land don't want to lose trail access due to pent up demand to ride. Sounds like whatever falls will be with us awhile.:)

lookin4snow

First we have to see how the snow comes down. Yesterday we received between 2 and 3 inches of wet heavy snow which is a good start. I took a 2 mile ride last night just to check the fields (not bad). We have been talking to and hope to open the trails as early as tomorrow (Thursday) and allow the sleds to pack things down. The wind can be your friend to blow snow into the packed trail and fill it back up with snow. Right now we (Yellow Thunder in Lodi) are tentatively planning on sending the groomers out on Friday night and run them all night to get the trails in shape. We typically communicate County wide in Dane and Columbia counties to open all the trails at the same time. Check these two phone lines for recorded messages regarding trail openings: Columbia County - 608-227-7433, Dane County - 608-242-4576.

StreetnSnow

lookin4snow, packerlandrider & skiyam, thanks for the info!! I'm definitely not one to cause issues with land owners or the clubs who put in all the hard work. Just trying to figure out where I can pull the trigger soonest. ;)

packerlandrider

Not a problem, glad you brought the topic up. The trouble makers are usually the people no where near sites like these asking the questions like you are.

Jacob

I am riding Fri and Sat for sure near the Lodi area. I am staying in the Quality Inn. Look for me on a 2012 Polaris 600 Rush Pro R. I look forward to seeing some people!

Also, please be sure to stop and help me if you see my piled into a tree. :)

Renedoo

I plan on riding tomorrow and will ride almost anywhere. We will need to keep an eye on where and when the trails open. I'm in Waupaca and not sure when the trails will open.

tlrguy

Jacob. Sled is loaded. GPS is loaded. Paper maps for backup- Check. Ill be heading up early tomorrow morning, 06 Attak. Are you still planning this trip?

StreetnSnow

I'm staying at a friend's place near Beaver Dam. Probably riding west later this morning. So far it looks like Dodge & Columbia counties are open. Went for a rip last night. Plenty of snow here. :)

What time you guys heading out of Lodi?

Cat-ryder50

Trails are open in northern Waukesha County, Washington, and Dodge I think I will be riding from Monches to Iron Ridge saturday during the day, tonight just around the Holy Hill area, can't wait to tear **** up on the crossfire. Anyone who wants to join look for the green 600 all over the trail ;)

I am looking for someone to ride with 12/29 somewhere north of Janesville. I am coming from Illinois. Post a reply on here if you are interested.

Dooski - I live in Bartlett and am thinking about heading to that area any (or maybe all 3)of the next three days. Call or text me if you have any interest. I was in Brohead last weekend and rode up to Verona. Had a blast and have a pretty good read on the conditions. 815 814 5092. Jim