Any pellet smokers on here ?

mtb1115

Hey, I bought a Rec Tec pellet fired grill about 5 months ago and all I can saw is WOW !!!, everything I cook turns out great and they are super easy to use, although a little expensive, but the taste of the food is worth it. I have used up my original supply of cooking pellets and need to order some more as I plan on using it year round. I cooked a brisket over night for work, I figured since it was in the low 30's I'd bump the temp up a bit to 230 degrees, turns out that I didn't to.... she was at 195 internal temp when I got up for work and like I said, very tasty !

98panther

I have had a Traeger now for about 6 months everything we have tried has been better than anything I have made before.
I only use the Weber now for brat and hot dogs.

srt20

We've had a Traeger for a few years. We really like it.

Put them brats in some beer and kraut on the grill. Then crisp them up just on the grill. It's awesome.

My fav is beer can chicken.

mtb1115

I don't think I could pick a favorite, the brisket, ribs, whole chicken or just wings, turkey breast, boston butt, tenderloins .... I'm trying to drop some lbs but the grill is not helping.

scott_b

Had to look up this type of grill. Do you also do burgers and steak on this or is it only for smoking? Neat concept. I will be in need of a new grill in the next couple years.

98panther

Not just for smoking meat, it gets hot.
Too me the big difference is being able to control the temp inside like your oven in the house. Set it to 180 - 450+
It's like a smoke filled convection oven, Chicken gets crispy on the outside and meat doesn't dry out, very moist.

mtb1115

I guess they technically are more like a wood fired grill or oven as they produce a lighter smoke flavor as the fuel is just ground up wood that is extruded into pellets. Those are feed into the burner dry and not soaked or anything like that. The cooking process is automatic and thermostatic controlled which make it for set it and forget cooking.... as long as you have power and pellets.

m8man

Wow, these look awesome.

I've always been a huge charcoal fan and have never used gas grills. I like to smoke stuff but boy does it take the attention.

So it looks like these are big bucks tho.

After doing some research, I am very interested in these. I sure liked the looks of them. What interests me is to smoke some ribs for like 6 hours, and then go to town.

I see the pellets run about the same ballpark as charcoal, but how much is a reasonable grill?

just kinda wondering what you guys are paying.

thanks,
m8man

srt20

IIRC, ours was like $700. To be honest, I had nothing to do with it. My wife wanted it and I didn't want to spend that much. But as we all know, if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

IMO it's a nice smoker grill. But it is also overpriced IMO.

98panther

I found most brands will start about 700 to 800 to get what you want. There are some smaller models that are cheaper (400 range).
But if you get one make sure it has the temp control. The small cheaper ones I saw only have low - medium - high control.
Temp control I think is really worth the extra bucks.

If you compare to a new Weber gas grill it's really not that much more.

mezz

"Any pellet smokers on here?" WEW!! sure am glad to read that this was about cooking, when I first read the thread title, I thought to myself, who in the **** would smoke pellets?!?, they would have to be harsh! LOL! Then I realized that ezra did not start this thread! LOL!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to your regularly scheduled programing......:cool:-Mezz

m8man

"Any pellet smokers on here?" WEW!! sure am glad to read that this was about cooking, when I first read the thread title, I thought to myself, who in the **** would smoke pellets?!?, they would have to be harsh! LOL! Then I realized that ezra did not start this thread! LOL!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to your regularly scheduled programing......:cool:-Mezz

What about Labrador smokers? Remember that comment on the Cheech and Chong "Up in Smoke"?

snowdance

Funny, because I thought the same thing. :p

mezz

What about Labrador smokers? Remember that comment on the Cheech and Chong "Up in Smoke"?
You've got a pretty good memory, yeah, that big ole hog leg the size of a paper towel tube, Maui Wowie & Labrador, good sheet man! Ahh, the good ole daze....:confused:-Mezz Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.