Anybody get new tires and installation at walmart?

jjj70095

My ford edge needs new tires. Tire dealers are quoting me $1K to install 4 tires with alignment. Anybody buy cheap tires from walmart and get them installed?
Do they do alignments? I see tires for $50 to $160 at Walmart....

600_RMK_144

I've heard some pretty bad stories about Walmart auto centers. Wouldn't recommend it. Discount Tire is an awesome tire company. They do nothing but tire and wheels, so work very hard to earn your business. They will match and often times beat any ad you bring them, even Amazon or Ebay prices.

ICT Sledder

No. I don't think I'd let Walmart employees touch my vehicle.

Costco is solid though. Employees there are up a few rungs in the employment ladder from the Walmart folks. They're almost always running a $150 off deal either on all Michelin tires, or on all Bridgestone tires - sometimes other stuff. Free lifetime rotations.

SHOOT2KILL

The advantage to Walmart was their purchase policy...If you buy the tires from Walmart.com and have them shipped to your local Wally auto center the installation is FREE...Or it was the last time I bought tires there 4-5 years ago...I have since switched my business to the local Blain's Farm n Fleet...Got a fair deal on my truck tires last year...4 tires for the price of 3 and then also rec'd the manufacturers $75.00 rebate...

Last edited:

mrbb

god and bad workers are every where, I wouldn;t claim Wally world workers are all bad, nor Costco workers are all great!
that said, I have several friends that buy there tires all the time from a few different wally worlds, and have never had any issue's

Hear local wally world will charge 25 bucks per tire to install/mount and balance! ,
if you bring in tires to have installed on your vehicle, plus a fee to get rid of old tires (so a 100 bucks for installing mounting 4 tires PLUS tire disposal if you want will cost more!) a few yrs back they only charged 10 bucks a tire to mount and balance! prices went up!

BUT keep in mind, that many times big chain stores like wally world and Costco , have lower prices on some brands tires, due to the tires they are selling have less thread on them,
as in, many tire makers make the same MODEL tire in different versions, and one will have more thread on it than the identical tire of same make model /size tire
if you go to most ire maker web sites and look up spec's on there tires you will see, how they many times have several tires models with same size, , but different spec's on thread depth!
thus why a tire can be cheaper in one shop as to another, you have to look at spec;'s to know what one there selling!
its mostly on the most common tire models, and brand names that do this!
but it is why some times, large chains have lower costs on tires!

and some other food for thought, buying tires locally from a local tire shop, many times gets you some good free benefits, like free rotation, , free flat repair, and if ever a issue, someone to stand up for you to get a warranty claim on a tire, which is never an easy process without them on your side!

SO< paying a tad more, gets you some rewards and less hassle, being a one stop deal!

and last, HAHA< this time of yr many tire MFG's have special promotion for buying full sets, or two tires,
they do so every fall before winter, to help sell tires!
the discounts can be found on there web sites and a few online tire shops will list them as well!
as an example of a some now

I have a 17 Edge. AWD Last year put Michelin cross climate 2's on it. Best move I could have made. They are without a doubt best tires I ever owned.They look like they would be noisy ,but they are not. Incredible on snow and rain. I went thru my Ford dealer.

jjj70095

interesting, my local dealer here in illinois says to avoid michelin tires, he is not a fan of them, what was the total cost for the climate 2's?

Last edited:

600_RMK_144

interesting, my local dealer here in illinois says to avoid michelin tires, he is not a fan of them, what was the total cost for the climate 2's?
I'm also a fan of the Michelin tires. Have them on two vehicles in the family. Great all-season tires. There are some bad ones such as the Primacy's that come stock on some F150s. Those do suck. But aside from those, Michelin tires are excellent.

pclark

If you live near Oconomowoc, WI go see Marty or John at Big Bear Tire, these guys know their tires and they have the best prices around. They will tell you what the best tire is for your veicle or you can tell them what you want, either way. Even though I live up north now they will always have my business. They also offer free tire rotation with purchase of the tires for the life of the tires.

G

G

I have had three Edges. They will eat up cheap tires in 20000 miles or less. You want to spend $1000 bucks and get good tires. Unless you are going to trade it off. I went back to the Pirellies it came with new. Happy with them.

jjj70095

I am going to go with the GoodYear comfort assurance tire, for $1K and a rebate. These tires are designed for special comfort while riding, and have gotten good reviews.........they have new technology for comfort....

SHOOT2KILL

I am going to go with the GoodYear comfort assurance tire, for $1K and a rebate. These tires are designed for special comfort while riding, and have gotten good reviews.........they have new technology for comfort....
I have those on my wifes van...Good quality tire...

I deal with Buss ford in Mchenry IL. Service manager recommended them. I Don't remember the exact total, but around 1000 with everything. free rotation every 2 oil changes. Like I said rain or snow they are great. I'm happy with the brand and ride comfort.

saber1

I have a 17 Edge. AWD Last year put Michelin cross climate 2's on it. Best move I could have made. They are without a doubt best tires I ever owned.They look like they would be noisy ,but they are not. Incredible on snow and rain. I went thru my Ford dealer.
same here put those tires on my wife's Nissan Altima they really look aggressive and great traction u would think they would be noisy but not at all $650 out the door for all 4 .I dont know $1000 seems high to me i have never paid $1000.00 for any set of tires even on my 2015 f150 $800 for a set of Hankook AT's I use Discount tire ,Tire barn,New player in town Bell tire And sometimes Costco.I dont trust Wally.Just checked discount tire a set of the new version of those Crossclimates is $823.00 out the door

Last edited:

BigSix

I would suggest Pomp's. They are more expensive than the other chains but very professional. Tires are their business and they sell a lot of them so they get good factory deals. They have full alignment services. They are also located all over the Midwest. They were founded in Green Bay by Andrew “Sparky” Pomprowitz in 1939.

heckler56

If you live near Oconomowoc, WI go see Marty or John at Big Bear Tire, these guys know their tires and they have the best prices around. They will tell you what the best tire is for your veicle or you can tell them what you want, either way. Even though I live up north now they will always have my business. They also offer free tire rotation with purchase of the tires for the life of the tires.
I used Silver Lake Auto when we lived in Merton.

To the OP, wherever you go check the date codes of manufacture on whatever you buy. About 10 years ago my son bought tires at a Discount Tire that went bad 6 months later. They were going to “prorate” the replacement by two years as these sat at Discount for 1 1/2 years. Silver Lake Auto stepped up for my son and got “free” replacements and did the install for $100.