Apex hand warmers

racenut

i have a 2008 apex rtx when it gets about 15 degrees or colder my hands freeze. i wear decent leather gloves and the sled does have hand guards.a guy told me to spray great stuff foam insulation in the end of the grips.any body try this or have any other ideas?? thanks

eagle1

check out Totallyamaha Website look under Gen Discussion look for Rockmeister's Nice warm hand controller

Worked good for me.

Pizza Man

MY HANDS ALSO GET COLD AND I'VE DONE THE NEW GLOVES AND HAND GUARDS.
ABOUT THE FOAM-
DO YOU JUST SPRAY IT IN FROM THE END OF THE GRIP?

fredster

I did the following mod to my son's 2008 Vector and it was a huge improvment. Remove grips, then carefully remove heating elements from the metal bars. Install a layer of cork on the bars, reistall heating elements on the cork, then install new grips.

It took my son and I one hour and the grips work great now. We had tried foam and handguards first with little benefit.

Having the foam ensures that the heat comes out into the grips instead of being absorbed by the bars.

I got the idea from one of the snowmobile forums, learned it was something they do at Nelson's Speedshop in Greenville, MI. Stopped at Nelson's, talked to one of the service managers, they got me the cork and grips ($30) and the rest is history.

Simple, fast and effective mod...

mjkaliszak

I went a different route with the Polaris I have.
I like the cork idea ( good stuff ). Back 2 yrs ago my sons POL had the same issue. Great at the dealer with a ambient temp of 65. But on the trail at 5 deg they sucked. We wired a old school cartridge style heaters inside the bars and kept 2 heaters wired to the hi-low-off switch. Had to chop the hook. Live & learn there was no happy medium but they sure did not let your fingers freeze when first starting out in the morning. OF course we had to figure this out ourselves trying different heaters from Cat & Doo. IF Yama was NO help don't feel bad, POL was useless and so were the techs at the dealer I went to. We got the schematics out sent them to an electrical eng & a couple of us all pooled our ideas together. I'm still pissed over that issue on a new sled. Always something. Buy 10K of machine and do the troubleshooting ourselves.

marty__kms

The cork mod sounds like the 2008 Ski Doo handwarmer "recall" that everyone was so quick to get excited about...at least for Doo it was a "recall".