Arthritis meds for dogs

johnnyblaze

I was reading in your journal yesterday that you are giving Millie a prescription for her arthritis that is much cheaper than Rymadil. My dog is currently on Rymadil for both of his back knees due to post-op arthritis due to ACL replacements in both knees. I was just wondering if you had a name for this other medication. Rymadil can be pretty pricey, and I am currently laid off. Any help you can give would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It is called Miloxicam, it is actually a generic anti-inflammatory for humans. It is too early to tell if it is working, but we have a friend who's dog has been on it for a few years and she says it has worked very well.

We paid $6 for a two month supply at the same pharmacy that I get my meds.

-John

miaferominka

It is called Miloxicam, it is actually a generic anti-inflammatory for humans. It is too early to tell if it is working, but we have a friend who's dog has been on it for a few years and she says it has worked very well.

We paid $6 for a two month supply at the same pharmacy that I get my meds.

-John

John, how long has your dog been on this?

I have used Novox; it is the generic for Rimadyl. The downside of this generic it is that you cannot get it in chewable form, but the upside is the cost. You can ask your vet to write you a prescription and you can fill it on-line. My personal experience has been that KV Supply and Drs. Foster & Smith are one of the cheaper places to buy from.
If you call Drs. Foster and Smith and ask to speak with the pharmacy, they are great there. All though they are an on-line or catalog place, they also have a store location. Last summer we stopped by and he spent an hour with us going over the different meds. He recently recommended that we try the human medicine Miloxicam …Just like John recommended, he even gave us the breakdown of how to dose it. We have not switch yet but we will on our next refill. Give them a call… they won’t charge you. They have great customer service.

www.drsfostersmith.com
www.kvsupply.com