Artic Cat Throttles

wink

On our ride last Weds. a friend was on his 2006 660 Turbo (barge) and going around a corner the throttle stuck and he impaled a tree at about 20+mph and was ejected over the handlebars.
He(325lb. er) flew between 2 trees and somehow didn't break any bones and the sled although had damage was driveable.
I thought I'd send you this because the Artice Cat Throttles (lever)seem to have an awful lot of slop in them. We could not find anything stuck, but the sled was running about half throttle when the guy behing him came up to shut it down as it rpm'ed against the tree.
He hit the lever and it returned to normal and we could not get it to stick again. Rode another 250 miles no problem. But sore rider;-}

Just thought I'd send you this for a heads up...to make sure you inspect yours. Have you heard of any occurances of this be4?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the note.

I have not noticed any problems with my throttles and have not heard about it being an issue, but you bring up an important point. Break and throttle cables and levers are things that should always be checked before heading out and if they do not feel right, should be looked at before riding.

-John

jim

is it possible that hand warmers could melt snow or powder, then run down on the thumb throttle, of coarse a little chunk of ice could get wedged in there, anything is possible

t660redrocket

Cat throttles are "sloppy" because there is a switch in there that is depressed when given throttle. If pressure is released but throttle remains open it is supposed to go into "kill" mode. Many owners disable this function. Curious if your buddy did? My 2007 Jaguar Z-1 sticks a little every now and then....but not at 1/2 throttle.