Assault 144 or Renegade/ Summitt 146 "Lets get it on"

lopez11j

Okay people. I got it narrowed down to these. Which one do I buy or don't buy and why? (2011 / 2012 sleds)

Last edited:

lopez11j

Well, what\how\where do you plan on riding it?

I ride northern MN but take a couple trips to the UP if we are low on snow. 50/50 trail to off-trail although I like off-trail alot more. I plan on putting a 1.75 lug track on no matter what sled. That's what I have now and I think it is the best all around track for what I like to do.

salmonbum

If you do any type of trail riding, skip the thought of a summit. They now have a 36" stance and an uncouples suspension. Not to mention the longer rear shock and rear arm more fwd cause the sled to be light in front.

I have both, a Summit and a Gade. My summit is for mountain riding only. My Gade is for Michigan off trail play, but I still ride the trails a few times a yr with the girl friend. I have changed the gade a lot over the past few yrs, and with this past fall some major changes where done which made this sled the ultimate Michigan off trail sled that can still be trail friendly, just not a super-fast speeds. My gade is an 09 with a 1.75” challenger, 23/45 gears, 38 “summit front end, mild clutching, 6.9 Pilots and a floating QRS. Of course, my suspension is dialed in to my riding style (Loose strap, couplers thin and center shock tight). There are many more things that have been done to this sled, but above is bread and butter of changes. I was able to do some off trail this past weekend and the thing is an animal. Nothing in Michigan will stop it. But I was still able to cruise the trail with no issues.

I can tell you summit would not have been as much fun as the Gade. The Summit would blow in the trails, and would walk anything in Michigan to the point it wouldn’t be a challenge.

I have yet to ride the new Assault. I hear great things about the Pro RMK, besides lack of power. But remember the switchback assault is NOT the Pro chassis, as its more like the trail rush in regards to seating\steering.

misty_pines

You might want to look at the Renegade Backcountry. That is the sled I have and love it. Great sled for on and off the trails. It comes with a 137" x 16" track with 1.75" lugs, DS skis (for deep snow), adjustable ski stance from 38" to 41". I have been running mine at the 38 inch ski stance which make it a bit easier to turn over off trail and it still does great in the twisty trails. I agree with Salmonbum to stay away from the Summit model based on the type of riding you describe. I have also heard good things about the Assault but have never driven one.

lopez11j

Thanks for the info guys. Still would like to hear more about the assault. Polaris web site does not give enough info for me and they don't seem to have a forum like dootalk.com.

polarisrider1

Thanks for the info guys. Still would like to hear more about the assault. Polaris web site does not give enough info for me and they don't seem to have a forum like dootalk.com.
how about going into a good dealership that carries all of the above and have them help you. I know 146 summit riders who trail ride them. But rrmember don't bring a gade to a summit party.

polarisrider1

Not trying to stir things up but the 2012 RMK Pro 800 has wasted many skidoo summit 800R's this past week in sidehilling and drag racing along with running down the trail. Poos usuually cost less than comparable Doos also.

polarisrider1

I ride northern MN but take a couple trips to the UP if we are low on snow. 50/50 trail to off-trail although I like off-trail alot more. I plan on putting a 1.75 lug track on no matter what sled. That's what I have now and I think it is the best all around track for what I like to do.
how about a switchback?

squarepants2

I have a 2011 orange madness switchback assault. I really like it alot. We ride off trail about 65%of the time. It is so light and comfortable whether sitting or standing. It will go thru about anything and really hooks up in all snow conditions. I. Set it up per a Max sled review and will be testing it soon. The only thing I don't like is the switches for brights and hand warmers are on dash. No room on the pro_taper bars. A minor inconvience. I think Polaris sleds are put together better. A friend has a ski doo renegade and it seems kinda cheap. That comment will probably start another conversation ! Good Luck with your purchase.

Noodles

I am assuming he is talking about the switchie he stated 144.The SBA will go pretty much anywhere.Its the best crossover sled out there if you lean more towards off trail.

salmonbum

how about going into a good dealership that carries all of the above and have them help you. I know 146 summit riders who trail ride them. But rrmember don't bring a gade to a summit party.

Tell me when your next summit party is and I will bring my gade. It will will follow a summit anywhere but to the tallest peaks. I know what a summit can do, I own one. And I know what my gade can do, I built it.

BTW, my buddy in Colorado (where I keep my summit) had 3 buddys blow up 2011-2012 RMK's this weekend.

polarisrider1

Tell me when your next summit party is and I will bring my gade. It will will follow a summit anywhere but to the tallest peaks. I know what a summit can do, I own one. And I know what my gade can do, I built it.

BTW, my buddy in Colorado (where I keep my summit) had 3 buddys blow up 2011-2012 RMK's this weekend.
Couldn't blow mine up. Ran from Top of the world back to Cooke City with it pinned running 8300rpm for about 23 miles straight. no issues. Next Summit party is at Island Park week of March 5-10. I had a 06 renegade, put 4400 trail miles on it and about 200 off trail miles 1st year I had it.. It is in stock form, a way better trail sled. The Summit boys I ride with coined the phrase (not me) after spending 6 days of tugging out their buddies Gade. I have 30 hrs. on my sled with no issues. I run 91 to 93 octane with the ethanol/87octane plug in place. My oil ratio is 55 to1 and I correctly clutch for where I ride. I followed break in requirements to the letter, Simple rules to follow and motor stays together.

salmonbum

4400 trail miles? That would take me about 10 yrs to put on a sled. Normal for me is about 500 a yr per sled. If I can put on 25 miles a day, that is a good day. Yes, back in 06 a gade was more of a trail sled in stock form (I had one). You cannot base your theory on one Gade, and if that person actually had the skills to ride it to its full potential. The XP's handle much different, and then when you build it yourself to be the ultimate off trail sled, then yes, it will keep up with any stock mounatin sled except for the really steep climbs (yes, mine will). Add in the fact that I only ride off trail (not putts around for 4000+ miles on trail and a few hundy off trail) and I can assure you, no one will be digging me out any more than a mountain sled will. Out in Colorado, I used to ride with a guy that had an 06 Gade, and he would spank the pants off of most guys with 144-155" sleds. Why? He knew how to ride. Yes, which sled between your legs does matter, but its more on if you know how to use the thing between your legs properly that will make the sled good or not.

The guys that blew up the RMK's were from Steamboat, which is where I keep my summit and ride every other weekend. These guys didn't have many miles, but they were 0 trail miles. There were ALL pinned to the bars miles, playing in the Deep (well, for what this yr is amyways). I will not argue the new RMK chassis is great and is prob the best handling sled on the mountain. But to say anything other than its lowest 800 on power and, since 2009, is the most self destructive 800 out there would be a lie. The chassis is the best, the motor is the worst plain and simple. Once Poo builds a 800 that will last over 2000 MOUTAIN miles, then I would buy one in a heartbeat.

"Couldn't blow mine up. Ran from Top of the world back to Cooke City with it pinned running 8300rpm for about 23 miles straight"
----- Sorry, I gotta call you out on that. ANY motor held to the bars for 23 straight miles will not last. Thats just BS right there. You just lost some "honesty posts" points with me on that statement. Now everything you post I will have to second guess. JK... :)

Oh yeah, and you should rephrase "bring a gade to a summit party" to "Bring a trail rider to a moutain ridding party"

Please don't take any of this personal, This is just getting to my point thats its more the rider than the sled that will dertermine the outcome of a sleds success at certain goals.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

4400 trail miles? That would take me about 10 yrs to put on a sled. Normal for me is about 500 a yr per sled. If I can put on 25 miles a day, that is a good day. Yes, back in 06 a gade was more of a trail sled in stock form (I had one). You cannot base your theory on one Gade, and if that person actually had the skills to ride it to its full potential. The XP's handle much different, and then when you build it yourself to be the ultimate off trail sled, then yes, it will keep up with any stock mounatin sled except for the really steep climbs (yes, mine will). Add in the fact that I only ride off trail (not putts around for 4000+ miles on trail and a few hundy off trail) and I can assure you, no one will be digging me out any more than a mountain sled will. Out in Colorado, I used to ride with a guy that had an 06 Gade, and he would spank the pants off of most guys with 144-155" sleds. Why? He knew how to ride. Yes, which sled between your legs does matter, but its more on if you know how to use the thing between your legs properly that will make the sled good or not.

The guys that blew up the RMK's were from Steamboat, which is where I keep my summit and ride every other weekend. These guys didn't have many miles, but they were 0 trail miles. There were ALL pinned to the bars miles, playing in the Deep (well, for what this yr is amyways). I will not argue the new RMK chassis is great and is prob the best handling sled on the mountain. But to say anything other than its lowest 800 on power and, since 2009, is the most self destructive 800 out there would be a lie. The chassis is the best, the motor is the worst plain and simple. Once Poo builds a 800 that will last over 2000 MOUTAIN miles, then I would buy one in a heartbeat.

"Couldn't blow mine up. Ran from Top of the world back to Cooke City with it pinned running 8300rpm for about 23 miles straight"
----- Sorry, I gotta call you out on that. ANY motor held to the bars for 23 straight miles will not last. Thats just BS right there. You just lost some "honesty posts" points with me on that statement. Now everything you post I will have to second guess. JK... :)

Oh yeah, and you should rephrase "bring a gade to a summit party" to "Bring a trail rider to a moutain ridding party"

Please don't take any of this personal, This is just getting to my point thats its more the rider than the sled that will dertermine the outcome of a sleds success at certain goals.
I actually take it as a compliment especially the last line. Thank you. Top of the world to Cooke is about 30 miles of that I had it pinned about 22-23 of those. yes I did bring it under 8300 rpm but not much under 7800 for only a moment in each of the wide sweeping curves.

salmonbum

I actually take it as a compliment especially the last line. Thank you. Top of the world to Cooke is about 30 miles of that I had it pinned about 22-23 of those. yes I did bring it under 8300 rpm but not much under 7800 for only a moment in each of the wide sweeping curves.

Ohh, OK..... You were a little misleading. You made it sound like you put the sled in a straight line for 23 miles and hit the throttle and never let off. What you are saying is you actually used the sled to its full RPM most of the way climbing hills, powder turns, etc, with an occasional stop. I got it now. Thats what I do every other weekend Climbing to 11,000 ft in Steamboat. That is how the typical mountain guy rides every day.

I have a '12 SBA with 2" lug and I LOVE IT! it goes anywhere you need it to go in the Yoop and it carves/sidehills like a dream!! i can even get it through the woods (when we do ride some trails) as fast as i could get my 121 IQr last year. the tip up rails on the 144 make it trail ride like a 121....the renegades are coupled and they suck for weight transfer off trails....my assault loves to put the skis in the air!! mines bone stock except removing sway bar. the suspension is top notch for a production sled

600etec

I have a renegade and it is what you want. I have a cabin in norther MN and do a fair amount of trail riding and some powder running on the Power line cuts(75/25). When we have snow....People are correct about summits, they are narrower and uncoupled rear suspension. I put a clutch kit and pipe on my 600 etec and it rippppps! I pull with 800's up to 90

cuzzinolaf

Not trying to stir things up but the 2012 RMK Pro 800 has wasted many skidoo summit 800R's this past week in sidehilling and drag racing along with running down the trail. Poos usuually cost less than comparable Doos also.

Since you mentioned drag racing... I have to tell you that my M8 smoked an Assult 144" 2 1/4 lug multiple times in a powdery field.