Atlantic Mine trail 3 spur to Houghton Country Inn/ Suites? Walmart?

does anyone know where the spur trail in Atlantic Mine is to this hotel ? they said its an ungroomed path that goes there,
but where do you pick it up in Atlantic Mine...? no sign? thanks!!

old abe

I think I know what trail you are asking about. That trail goes up to the snowmobile club's clubhouse, and to the "old Dan's Polaris dealer bis. I'm not sure about being able to ride to any lodging as of now. It would be very nice to be able to do so. Several years ago it was not, as we looked in to it. Call Dan's, they are very good people, and will be able to help with this. I believe they are still in the sled renting bis. We look forward to running into you, and WD some time.

snipes517

just looked at a map, i believe you can get there by sled as it is right across and down a side street from Houghton Powersports and i have rode there multiple time via sled. The 'spur trail" is on the way out of Houghton to the south, you will ride along the canal and then pass the park with all the slides then trail turns left to a stop sign at a road. you will cross the road and follow the trail, shortly after crossing the road there will be the spur trail that shoots off to the left and up a hill (if you get to the stop sign thats at the bottom of a steep hill then yo go up the hill right away again you went to far) you will follow roads that are marked with small aarows i believe and then will end up by Culvers and the gas station, make your way down to the road the hotel is on and bam! you made it. hope this helps, and it is not groomed, but the actual trail is maybe 1/4-1/2 mile then its back roads.

old abe

I thought he meant the spur trail up on top the hill. Going west out of Houghton, and east of Atlantic Mine?

snipes517

the only spur trail i know of to get up by the Walmart/culver/gas station/Houghton Powersports and what not is shortly after crossing the road after passing the park. and ya technically going west for a mile or so but the trail goes south to south range/twin lakes.If you look at google earth and see where the trail crosses the road after the park (you can see the coating they put on the road pretty clear) then it says bill nicholls trail, literally right after the road crossing you can see a trail that "Y's off to the southeast and goes through the woods to a road and leads to the culvers/gas station. if your talking about a differ trail to houghton then i have no idea but i know for a fact this one is there as explained.

old abe

Yes Snipes I know what trail you are talking of. It is well marked. I am referring to the spur trail that is up on the top of the hill. It has been there for many years due to the snowmobile club. Yes you are going south/southwest. It goes to the clubhouse behind Dans Rentals now, used to be Dans Polaris. We were told they were going to connect it to lodging at sometime.

thanks guys .....yes abe, i am trying to get there from the top, heading north from South Range.....i will try Dan's and see if they know....I called the hotel, but they were not much help..... i tried to get there a few yrs ago from the north coming from along the canal, park area, and got lost.....

old abe

Agree with the spur trail below the hill, by the highway. It is not very sled friendly once you get out of the woods. Too many streets to deal with. With the low snow conditions as we have now, worse yet. Dan's Rentals is listed on JD's northwoods directory.

catalac

We stayed at that hotel once, won't ever again. Nice hotel but just too far off the beatn' path for us. We decided to get gas one day, just down from the hotel, I think it was in front of Wally world, but that was scary with tons of traffic. We went across the highway and through town, and that was a mistake from the get go. If it was me, I'd stay somewhere else.

understand, but i have free room there, otherwise i would stay at ramada or calumet.......i called hotel again and they will send me a map....not going for a month.,...hopefully conditions will improve by then,,,,,thanks for all the help, guys

catalac

understand, but i have free room there, otherwise i would stay at ramada or calumet.......i called hotel again and they will send me a map....not going for a month.,...hopefully conditions will improve by then,,,,,thanks for all the help, guys

Aww heck, can't pass up a free stay when your snowmobiling. Conditions should be good by then, and once you figure out that back trail, it's not too bad, just take it slow and you'll be good.

just_ride

VN,
we used to stay at Country Inn & Suites and ride from Hotel many times when they first opened in the area, never had any issues with the trail, except late in the year with lots of snow it could get whooped out in some areas, or if a foot + of snow was dumped and you didn't know trail, those sticks weren't very close together
Trail was marked with sticks with red marking on the top, some said Country Suites at the top. the trail is not groomed from the Hotel to M26 crossing, after crossing M26 the trial is groomed to trail 3. I believe the groomer barn is still behind the old Dan's Recreation building and thats why that part of spur trail gets groomed.
The trail crosses M26 in Atlantic Mine between Somero Dr. and Erickson Dr. see map
If your coming from South Range its two curves before that big hill, there is a sign there, I did not read it last weekend when I rode by.
don't know of any maps with this trail on it, so I made a couple
here you go, dotted line is the trail
I still stay there when I get a free night or have enough points, but they kept raising rates from when I first stayed there so I just moved on. DSC00563.jpg DSC00564.jpg DSC00552.jpg

catalac

Thats cool that you made that. I think the hotel gave us a little map, but it wasn't even as good as that one. If they just had a few more signs it would be alot easier to navigate. Oh well, I guess that is the fun of it. Ha.