ATV with a plow

mattyp

I recently bought a new home that has 5 acres and a long driveway. Currently, I do not have anything to remove snow from the driveway. With land to ride a 4-wheeler on, I was looking for opinions on how well a plow works on a 4-wheeler. The driveway is a smooth blacktop driveway, with plenty of room to push snow off to the sides. If anyone has a "set-up" they like, please share your thoughts. I am in the market for a 4-wheeler and plow, so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Matt

mezz

Well, this is going to depend on how "long" your driveway is, but, I wouldn't consider using a regular 4 wheeler for that duty. Perhaps a side by side with at least a 6' plow might fill the order for fun & work. Another option is to get a pick up & plow & use it for your plowing duty & hauling your 4 wheeler around. Having room enough to push the snow is half of the battle, getting it there is the other half. The other option, is a tractor with a big 2 stage blower. -Mezz

mrbb

16+ yrs of plowing a LOT of snow with an atv and a 60 inch plow blade, some drive ways I plow are over a 1/2 mile long, I also plow a few walking trails that are 5+ miles long
I have moved about 200 ton of gravel and top soil over the past 3 summers as well, and thousands of other things a PLOW shouldn;'t be used for LOl
I have a old Honda Foreman 400, with a moose plow push tube set up
its been a TANK, only time I haven't been able to plow snow is when its super wet and over 15+ inches deep, and even then I bigger issue is I run out of weight for traction, if I add an extra 150+ lbs to it, its a small bull dozer
an ATV will plow your drive way and then some IF

if you stay on top before it gets that deep, and the atv is large enough in motor and g low enough in gearing!
your fine with about any 500 cc ATV these days, there on weight, BUt some machine will be geared higher than others
Honda Foremans are known to be SLOW and lower geared, the 500 manual shift gets my vote hands down on a work machine
push tube mounts are the strongest on the market by makers own word

they also split weight of plow and pushing thru out the atv, NOT just one the atv's front end!

MY 2 cents on plows is this
stay with a 60 inch blade, if you want the strongest set up, get a moose push tube set up, mine has been bullet proof and I beat the **** out of it on stone and gravel
they take just a few minutes to put on off once you get used to it
they will be the better price set up too, and get a GOOD quality winch, plowing is VERY hard on winches all the IN>OUT's you will do.

draw backs to push tube set ups are this, the mounts lower ground clearance(it can be taken off pretty fast if wanted, and when its on , its a heck of a HD skit plate)
they do NOT lift as high, with practice you can stack snow as high as you want!, I can stack 10+ ft piles!
there NOT as user friendly to put on or off as a front mount set up

Pro's to a front mount set up are, easier on/off, lift higher, NO loss of ground clearance

cons to them are they cost more, they put MORE weight on JUST the front end, MOST require HD front springs to work best, can cause faster wear and tear on front end parts??

there NOT as HD as a push tube set up, but MORE Than strong enough for most snow plowing you will ever do!

the game of plowing snow with an atv again is staying on top of snow, don't wait till its super deep, and ALWAYS push it as far back as you can, as winters warm up and thaws come and go plow piles will turn into un movable solid objects, so you have to plan ahead on where its all going to go!

here is a pile of broken drive way material I moved with my atv and plow, 46 ton, two tri axle loads, , only a little at a time, but it did the job!
so, snow?? NO problem for me and my atv in the 16+yrs I have it!
LOL

and then a plow pic of snow!

mattyp

Thanks Mezz and mrrb!! Appreciate the info. What a "horse" you got there mrrb!! Those are solid machines! A 60 inch plow just seems so big for a 4 wheeler, but I don't have the experience using one so I'll take your word. Have some more homework to do. If anyone else has opinions, I would love to hear them. Thanks again!

Matt

Go Fast or Go Home

I have a Can-Am Outlander Max 650XT with a 60" plow.

I plow a driveway that is 600 feet long and 40 feet wide that widens out considerably more by the pole building.

As the other posters have said--It can be done but you need to stay ahead of it and always push the snow way back to make room for new snow. I sometimes will have to plow three times in one evening depending on drifting conditions, how wet the snow is, and how hard it is snowing.

I do not have any additional weights on mine. I am considering it because that seems to be my only drawback.

mrbb

a 60 inch plow is perfect size, the MAIN reason is, that when you have it at FULL angle, it is still more than wide enough to clear you a clear path for your tires, even in deep snow that rolls back some
smaller blades will let snow fall back in and smaller yet blades don't clear a full path for your tires
My atv is LIGHT, about 500 lbs , OLD atv werre a bunch smaller and lighter than modern one's

SO new atv's are even hevier than mine with about 650 as is MINUS a rider being the norm and some , the larger CCC'd one camn be closer to a 1,000 lbs
a 60 inch plow is SMALL on them

to be honest I could most likely push a 72 IF I had more weight, in 16 yrs with this atv plow set up, I have never wished for a smaller blade and I am only at about 28 hp with it, BUT its geared SUPER low, its like a old truck in 4 low all the time, full time 4x4 and all

and also for those that run MUD tires , they do NOT make for great PLOW tires, not enough contact and too stiff , like Truck snow tires LOTS of smaller biting edges with the snow war!

I run 589,s a compromise of sorts, have been bullet proof tires, have em on 9 yrs now, about 4,000 miles and still at 50+% tread, wear like iron , but I honestly don't trail ride much, but when I do, they work just fine for me! good all yr tire and all terrain, for everything I would say but FAST trail running, better options for that stuff!

eagle1

So where is new place located? Illinois? Then you should just need a few bags of salt! Lol

Last edited:

mezz

I am by no means insinuating that an ATV cannot do the job as I have plowed with one for a number of years. My last ATV was a 05 Yamaha Grizzly 660 (with No EPS) & it too was a dozer. I suggested the side by side as a means of comfort for the operator & keep you out of the elements. I have been plowing with a side by side since 2008 & will not go back to the ATV. I have a 6' front mounted blade, windshield, soft cab kit with doors & a stereo to entertain me while plowing. Keep in mind my plowing sessions are a couple hours a day some times twice a day, then again, here in the Keweenaw, that's the norm during our winters. I can still stack it up like with the ATV & can plow where a pick up can't. Like previously mentioned, use your room wisely. You didn't mention where your new home is located or how much your average snowfall is, so, an ATV might be ok for you or for that matter, your preference.-Mezz

mrbb

I am by no means insinuating that an ATV cannot do the job as I have plowed with one for a number of years. My last ATV was a 05 Yamaha Grizzly 660 (with No EPS) & it too was a dozer. I suggested the side by side as a means of comfort for the operator & keep you out of the elements. I have been plowing with a side by side since 2008 & will not go back to the ATV. I have a 6' front mounted blade, windshield, soft cab kit with doors & a stereo to entertain me while plowing. Keep in mind my plowing sessions are a couple hours a day some times twice a day, then again, here in the Keweenaw, that's the norm during our winters. I can still stack it up like with the ATV & can plow where a pick up can't. Like previously mentioned, use your room wisely. You didn't mention where your new home is located or how much your average snowfall is, so, an ATV might be ok for you or for that matter, your preference.-Mezz
wasn't trying to be a jerk with my reply
was just staying an atv has NO issue's plowing if right size and set up,

a SXS will also work just fine, but as you pointed out a sxs can get places a truck cannot, an ATV can get places a Sxs cannot LOL
an atv will also cost a LOT less than a sxs, so for some there is a budget to stick to, and an atv win's here by a lot

for how much work it can do

I just grabbed this, and I would think for many that plow a LOT, they might even be a better option as if you can find a decent used one, you can get them for a good price
enclosed cab heat wiper radio, 77 inch bucket LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

polaris4me

Staying on top of the snow is key. When wet or drifting. I live in flat open farm fields and when the winds blow hard, so are the drifts. Had to break drifts up with a shovel first before I can plow. As others have said, push the snow back as far as you can. I have a Sportsman 500 60in plow. I put 60lbs of weight on the back as well. Windshield helps you in the wind and keeps snow form hitting you. I put some lights in the back for plowing at night?

mrbb

adding better light up HIGH as you can helps a lot see over a plow blade too, as many time OEM light will get blocked by the plow when its lifted up or??

snoeatr

An atv will plow great. They manuever great and can push much more than expected. I used one for 7 years and never let me down. Even with 2 very large snowfalls/ blizzards. I do live in IL so we dont get alot but the 2 i refer to are feb 2011/ 2014 i think. Both wind driven and heavy 18"+. With that said i now use a sxs. I do like it better as it is enclosed out of elements and much like a small truck. If its in your budget go for sxs but if not atv works great too. Its nice to have work and a toy in one. Especially in this area, if i lived somewhere with 100+ in. / yr. may reconsider. Good luck with whatever u decide

mattyp

Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciate it and I am probably going to go with an ATV/plow set-up. I live in Bull Valley IL(northern IL) so we don't get a ton of snow, but do get it good sometime. This will also be for recreational use. Zeroing in on either a Yamaha Grizzly or a Can-am Outlander 570/650. Pretty good deals on the 16s now. Any opinions? Thanks!

mezz

From my most recent experience, the Yamaha Grizzly which now comes with EPS (Electronic Power Steering). Though I am sure the Can-am would be just as adequate. I can say this, I never had one single issue with the Grizz, it definitely has plenty of power.-Mezz

mrbb

my vote would be the Yamaha , they make some great atv's and have maybe the best CVT system out there IMO

I'm a Honda guy too LOL
But Honda doesn't really make a large cc atv, and the 4x4 atv';s they do make, have very little sport in them, more work than play set ups!
better bang for the buck on a Yamaha too!

mattyp

Thanks for your opinion mrbb. I am leaning towards the Grizzly 700 EPS SE and should not have any issues pushing snow with it. Those machines seem solid. The Can am's are sharp also...

jd

Administrator
Staff member
mattyp

Just a heads up that I will be selling my brothers 08 Yamaha 700 Grizzly that he bought to use up here. It has been here its whole live and stored inside. It is EFI, but does not have the EPS. Quite honestly, the only time I wish I had the EPS is when I am out in the bush and the front tires get into a large rut and I am not moving, then it is nearly impossible to turn the bars, otherwise I have not had any serious issues, or struggled to turn the bars. I plowed with our '05 660 for years with no EPS and again, not an issue. But opinions will vary and if you really want the EPS go for it.

He is coming up next week and we are going to detail it and come up with a price, but it is in great shape. Not sure of the exact miles, but low, as he/we just did not use it much.

All it would need to move snow is a winch (I strongly recommend staying away from the lower priced bargain ones and go with a Warn, the cheapos just do not hold up to the amount of use a plow gives them) and a plow.

I think mrbb has a great point about the 60" plow. Once you angle it, you lose overall width.

Anyway, if you are interested, let me know, we can work on a price and figure out how to get it down there. I have an Aunt that lives in Bull Valley.

-John

mrbb

warn makes a great winch, but I honestly think there overpriced

I have been using super winches on my atv, first one lasted 12+ yrs and I ONLY replaced it due to I needed new line and a switch and was able to buy a whole new winch with everything for almost what the line and switch was going to cost and felt 12 yrs of a TON of use, why not go new again

I replace wire rope about every other yr, as it will wear out from all the IN?OUT"s plowing will cause, and IF you over IN< you can snap it

which brings up winch line
MOST folks LOVE SYN line

to me its nice , but I can get 50 ft of wire rope for like 10 bucks, so, I stick with that cheap, and I use my line a lot to drag logs and suck and wire takes the abuse like that better

get a NAME Brand winch of at LEAST 2500 lbs for an ATV< and 4K for any side by side !!

winch debates bring out a LOT of Brand loyalty issue's and bashing and ??? wire to SYN line can be a night mare
as folks PUSH what THEY like best
BOTH have flaws , Pro's and Con's
if you keep an open mind and read well into both sides of things

Wire works for me
SYN works for others

mattyp

Thanks John. Appreciate you mentioning it and I'll keep an open mind. New to the Bull Valley area but nice to finally have some space. It's a small world!