Aux.generator

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I do have a portable generator, but have yet to have to use it for back up. I do plan to get a stationary one and have it wired in as a permanent back up someday.

Mainly because my office is also out of the home and power is very important for that. Plus I need a tiny bit of power to heat the cabin.

-John

homer2210

i have a portable honda generator that I have used when the power goes out just to plug in a few things like, fridge, tv, sump. I just finished off my basement and priced out a standy generator and it was around $6000, expensive, I would like to purchase a standby but the price is way too much to spend right now.

coldbear

Home generation.

Homer2210...Home Depot has a 8000 watt home standby for around 2000.00 American. I was Christmas shopping today and saw the price. Make sure it has an automatic transfer switch so your basement doesn't flood. After last September's wind storm[hurricane], I want one bad.

600hoic

Banned
8000 watts is not enough power. That's only 67amps. And a 200amp automatic transfer switch is $1500. Installation depending on local labor rates would run $1800-2500 minimum not including pipe, wire, other material. These systems are not very cheap.

snoeatr

8000 watt generater only actually generates around 33 amps per leg at 240 volt (which most house backups do). As long as the homeowner is not attempting to run any big drawing equipment such as AC, welder, air compressor, hot tub, etc. that generator will do the trick. You can run all your lights, outlets, and heat (gas or lp) with it and keep your beer and food cold no problem.