Baby gas

soopy

Sounds like colic. Usually ends after 1-3 months of age. No specific treatment for this condition, Mylicon may/maynot ease symptoms. The usual comforting,burping,holding,swadling regimen will comfort the infant. As for the formula dilema that John mentioned, highly recommend Enfamil, I would stay away from cheaper non-name brands.
Oh the joy!!! My son is now 2, I almost forgot what a good nights rest felt like. All part of the process tho- not complaining by any means.
Good Luck Best wishes
soopy

A

admin

Thanks Dave

Been giving her mylicon and it does help. Last night was better with the new formula we tried (similac special). We'll see!

-John

rjgoniea

I'm not sure if this would help, but our daughter had gas and reflux issues so we were told to put her bed at an incline so her head was higher than her feet. It's been a while, but I think I propped it up 4 to 6 inches.

We also found it convenient to add the mylicon directly to the formula. That has the added advantage of breaking up bubbles in the formula before the baby drinks it. I guess this option is dependent on if the baby doesn't mind the taste though.

wags

I would ask one question after reading your journal, have you increased the formula amount? As seeing that she is being fussy at night maybe she needs more in her tummy to lets say "tide her over" a bit longer.
As for formula after trying several we ended up using Carnation Good Start, now I'm not sure if it's even still around since it's been 15+yrs but it may be worth a look.

The Mylicon did work for us but we didn't need it that often.

Oh I know its early but teething?? Our oldest started early and our youngst (now 15) just in the past year lost her last one so anything is possible I guess.

BTW she is beautiful.

A

admin

Hi Wags.

We are keeping up with the amount of formula she desires. Has not been a big change yet, but we make sure she is good and satisfied before we pull the bottle away for good.

Probably not teeth yet either. She will be just 4 weeks old tomorrow.

-John

booondocker

Okay, here's my two cents worth....have 7 week old grand daughter (ah....., yeah, I am getting pretty old) who exibits the same thing.

My daughter found Enfamil, "Gentlease Lipil" which is designed for fussiness or gas.

Grandpa gets to "watch" her a couple times a week and overnight occasionally as things dictate....a move away from Michigan, packing stuff, garage sales, etc....darn Michigan economy....(but that's another story...)

The enfamil significantly improved the situation. She still burps up formula, specially when grandpa doesn't do a good job of burping her at least <u>twice</u> during the feeding with NO MORE than 3 ounces per burping, and be sure the temp of the bottle is warm enough because luke warm is NOT warm enough...but not too hot either. It can even come out her mouth and nose in bubble ups...., but RIG's suggestion about proping up the bed end by several inches goes a long way to improving that situation and she seems to sleep better. MOVE the baby from side to side burping thinking about those bubbles in there trying to find a way to get out. Big burps are good...but also indicate that she is sucking air. My baby sort of gulps as she drinks....not sure if she is all that efficient in drinking to begin with...but you can just hear the air bubbles going in. If you can hear that going on...the nipple might not fit her right and that can be resolved by changing out to other makes, styles and nipple materials....Be sure the swing seat position is set to the highest level. Better to have her slump a bit than to be on her back.

The drops help...and as time goes on, my girl has improved a whole bunch..I can only imagine how uncomfortable she must have been....now if only she would understand that grandpa doesn't like to stay up for 2 hours after 3 pm feeding, we would get along much better. Ah, but when she is content, and looks at you with those bright eyes and smiles and koo's at you, your heart becomes puddy, and you get eyes that seem to get dust in them all the time....

Jist remember, everyone feels better with a nap....no matter what time that might be. Then let time take care of all this stuff....and it will eventually. Better days are ahead...just get past this part....but don't rush into teen years....them are the really tough times.....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Hoosier

Enfamil Gentlease worked great for our little guy also. But for whatever reason, the name brand was great but he wouldn't drink the Target brand. So, in this case, for our little guy, it was worth it to buy the name brand.

yamahauler

Could be the type of bottle.

We did the bed thing as well, maybe 3 inches but I don't remember doing that until our daughter could roll over on her own. I want to say that was because of SIDS.

mrsjac95

Hey John! Oh Gosh I remember those days... the gassy baby nights! The best part is they will pass and then you will get new stuff!!
happy.gif

There is this thingy that my friend who just had her baby boy swears by... I wish they had it when Dylan was born. http://www.napnanny.com/the_napnanny.html

GOOD LUCK with the gassy tum... hopefully it will clear up soon and y'all will be sleeping through the night!

Remember... nappy time for ALL is GOOD TIME no matter what time it is!

REV IT UPx3!

Jul

booondocker

Wow Julie, I guess if you loose sleep any price is not too high to pay if it works. But $120, and $60 for the covers....yipes!

tomxc700

If she seems to be comfortable in her car seat you can put her in that at night to sleep. My buddy's second child didn't sleep in her crib until she was 6 months. She had acid reflux bad and when she was in the car seat for more than 5 minutes she was out. I have a friend that say's if you run a hair dryer for a little while when she is fussy and won't go back to sleep helps calm babies down. You don't have to blow it on her just the noise. I never tried this with my two but it worked for him. Another thing about the formula is when you switch you need to give her time to adjust to it. I think the doc told us about a 3 days to a week to see a change. Good luck my 8 month old still wakes up twice a night.