battery question

tritonmark

I know it's best to charge a battery after it's taken out of the sled. I put a connection on to charge it in place with a battery tendor. Is it normal for the lights on the speedo to blink on and off when charging? The charger reads 8o% charged put clicks the lights on the panel on and off---engine,oil, ect lights. Would it mean a bad battery or is this normal!

edmarino

Battery Question

I don't know why your panel lights are coming on unless you have the ignition on. Just connecting the battery tender straight to the battery should not cause the effect you are experencing I have both of my sleds connected to battery tenders and have not seen this . One is a Yamaha and the other a Polaris also have he same set up on my Honda GL Wing motorcycle. You don't have to remove battery from sled to charge.

Sno-Bandit Gary

It sounds like you have another problem. You did not mention what type of sled you have. I have tenders on both of my Polaris's and have never seen the lights do that. In fact I just had to replace the battery on my older sled and the tenders never did anything to the dash lights.

anonomoose

You have melted wiring or a bad ignition switch...start with the switch removed and see if the condition continues...if it doesn't you need a new one, if it does, move along the wiring to find some melted wires somewhere, or even some relays that are defective. With computer brains, this might also be a problems because they can go independent of the ignition switch. Best to do all this before it gets worse.

tritonmark

These are a 06 and 07 skidoo revs. 2 sleds charge fine and these 2 when charging with the tender the ignition panel lights blink-- even with the keys out of them?? They start with the battery in them- just wanted to charge to a full charge in case I head north-- but also wnt to make sure everything is ok with the battery or sled.

coldbear

Diode problems??

Usually when you have a feedback problem like lights check for a bad ground. Then look for a bad diode in the electrical charging system.jmo.

coldbear

charging the batt.

I can't even see my battery in the sled so I hook my pos.[+] to the starter lug and clamp the ground[-] to the chassis.Charges like crazy.

booondocker

I am no expert, but I think those sleds have some complicated circuitry to delay headlights coming on, and other electrical processes while you start the sled to save on battery power.

Call your dealer and mention that the sleds do this when you charge them with battery tender and see what he says. If he has seen it before, he will likely tell you not to worry or that this is NOT a usual thing in which case you should ferret out the problem and get it corrected before it takes out some important electrical stuff that costs lots of money.

As mentioned above, it would NOT hurt to be certain that the grounding strap to the chassie is solid.