belt adjustment on 06 xfire 700 sp

smitty440

Just wondering what the proper tension should be? Should the belt sit an 1/8" above the sheaves? I took the belt off today and now it is not sitting in the same place as it was before. When I put it back on I had to remove two washers to make the adjustment nut go on all the way.

fishcrib

On my 2007, you run a straight edge across the top of the belt from main clutch and secondary. With a ruler push down on the belt ( in middled between 2 clutches) until the slack is gone. Should be 1 1/4" from top of straight edge to top of belt.

smitty440

Ok looks like i've got it at an 1.75" right now. So here is my next few questions. Do I need to have the belt off to make adjustments? Does adding shims bring the sheaves together or apart? I'm not sure if I took the belt off the proper way in the first place. I used a strap wrench to open the sheaves and turned the clutch counter-clockwise to get the belt out. Does the adjustment nut need to be removed before opening up the sheaves when removing the belt?
Thanks for any help, Smitty

xfire

Adding shims brings the sheaves closer. Add shims to tighten the belt. I run mine so the ribs on the outside of the belt stick up above the sheaves. It's probably about an 1/8". You don't need to remove the adjuster if you are using a strap wrench. I get a chirp from the belt once in a while at idle, but when you mash the throttle from a dead stop it leaves hard.

mezz

Using the strap wrench is not improper, just a quicker way to change out the belt. I would put the 2 shims back in though, you may be a tad too loose. The belt should ride at least 1/8" above the secondary.-Mezz

fcat700

Did you run the sled after you put the belt back on? If not put the washers back in, tighten the collar down real good and run the sled on a jack stand, my guess is the belt will be back in the position it was before you removed it.

fishcrib

Smitty, I also bought these parts from High Performance Engineers:
500325 & 50033. It makes changing and adjusting your belt easy.