belt break in

dooeragain

AI wash withsoap & water run it easy for thirty mi or so and put it away for my spare, It is ready to go when I need it and I don't have to worry about any thing when I put it on, Just let it get warm & go!!!

crskidoo

AI wash withsoap & water run it easy for thirty mi or so and put it away for my spare, It is ready to go when I need it and I don't have to worry about any thing when I put it on, Just let it get warm & go!!!

What does washing it with soap and water do? When it sits under the hood in the holder it will just get dirty again won't it? Never thought about breaking in a belt though. Maybe I should.

pman

Manufacturers use a mold to make the belt. They have to use mold release so the belt will release from the mold when finished. The mold release is usually silicone or a blend of silicone and oils. Washing the belt in warm water and mild dish soap will remove this excess mold release, and keep it off of the clutch faces. I usually let the belt soak about 30 minutes before rinseing. I also take it easy on a new belt for about 30 miles to break it in.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
X2^

Here is my buds 13 year old washing a new belt, and having some fun doing it.

Attachments

• pics 152 (Medium).jpg
    pics 152 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 131

RMKrick

You can put them in the dishwasher go ridin on your way back home or down the mountain put new belt on and wa la it will be brokin.You are really supposed to pout your sled on a stand put belt on spin clutch by hand first to settle belt then run slow on stand for about two min belt should be warm it,do this a few times your done

favoritos

I know of at least one manufacturer that recommends riding at least 25 miles under 50 mph with varied throttle positions.

I believe those belts are actually made as a single wide strip and then cut down to spec.

coldbear

Whattttttttttttt?

Never heard of that.You would think that the manufacturer would do a thorough cleaning of their product before shipping.But I'll look at that practice of washing a new belt.

switch07

Never washed a belt in 100,000+ miles. I do take a wire brush to the sides and brake the "glaze" that way. Been working good for me.

HIGHLANDER

Manufacturers use a mold to make the belt. They have to use mold release so the belt will release from the mold when finished. The mold release is usually silicone or a blend of silicone and oils. Washing the belt in warm water and mild dish soap will remove this excess mold release, and keep it off of the clutch faces. I usually let the belt soak about 30 minutes before rinseing. I also take it easy on a new belt for about 30 miles to break it in.

this is a big misconseption
l.o.l.

famousguy

Really?? Are you guys serious?

I have been riding for 36 years now, and never washed a belt, or did anything special to break it in.

Usually get anywhere from 5000 to 10000 miles out of my belts.

Put it on and ride it without giving another thought.

danzo

I just bought a new Gates "extreme" belt and actually read the sleeve it comes in. Doaesnt say anything about washing the belt but they do recommend a "break in" of the new belt. Says that speeds should generally be kept under 50mph and you should use varied speeds to help the clutch break in the belt. Im sure that most new belts come with the manufactures recommendations for break ins of their new belts.

captddh

I'd pay attention to the break in instructions. I loaned my knife to a guy on the trail with a $100 belt with about 30 miles on it. He was not happy with himself,...he had been warned but got ignored it. I think the more horse power you have,...the more important it is.