Best video game ever

T

Tracker

Remember out of this world this is the best game ever ....

T

Tracker

Doom and Wolfenstein were the two that got me hooked on FPS's.

Oh yeah I forgot about those two those two were freaking awesome as well.... do you remember this one this one was a lot of fun

T

Tracker

Yes sweeper guy pong was cool but we don't want to go all caveman

And there's got to be a shout out for joust it's definitely way way up there

frnash

Best computer game ever -- not necessarily a VIDEO game.

I'd have to go wayyy back to one of the earliest interactive fiction computer games (ca. 1977-1982), (click →) Wikipedia: Zork (ca. 1977-1982) including:

• Zork: The Great Underground Empire – Part I (later known as Zork I),
  • Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz, and
  • Zork III: The Dungeon Master.
These were text based games, no video, no images; they were all the more an intellectual exercise than a video game, because you had to keep the developing game scenario in your head (or on many iterations of an evolving a hand-drawn map hanging on the wall — yes it was that big!).

Here's a (click →) Yoot Toob video demo showing how it worked.
(the full video is 23 min. + 11 sec. Feel free to quit watching when you've seen enough.)

You have no idea how many hundreds of hours I spent wandering around the Zork environment, climbing rickety ladders, "falling in a pit and breaking every bone in my body", dodging knives, slaying the knife throwing dwarves, picking up more objects that I could carry, wandering the "maze of many passages, all alike" and the "maze of many passages, all different", finding the "barren room" (a room with an ill-tempered bear in it!), collecting goodies, etc. All the time drawing and redrawing and redrawing a map of all the interconnected places I'd been.

Yes, played via our GE/Honeywell time sharing system at the office! :hororr:

I even played the game at home, having hauled home a humongous carrying case bearing a "portable" (click →) ASR-33 teletype and an acoustic modem (tuck your telephone receiver into it) at 110 baud. and later at the then "blinding electronic speed" of 300 baud!

Last edited:
T

Tracker

Yeah I remember them kind of games father Nash they were just words though with different answers so that doesn't count sorry.... but if pong is caveman.... then Zork is Neolithic.... disregard the title of my thread says video...lol