Black Hills

woodside

2 feet+ thus far in the Hills. Been in contact with the Trails Head Lodge and getting snow reports.

Hope the base holds up for our trip there early February.

I rode out in Black Hills last year and you are correct as long as your sled is registered in your home state you don’t need a trail pass. The trail crosses into Wyoming and you are fine with no pass there too.

woodside

Trail riding in the BH's has been good for most of January and many meadows are good as well. Still not enough snow for safe off trail. The forecast calls for 10" or so this weekend and temps upper 20-low 30's the next 10 days. Looking good for our trip there 2/11-2/16.

MISNOW

Recommendations for lodging and best central location to access multiple trail loops in the Black Hills area?

Boxer

My group went out the middle of January this year. We stayed at TrailsHead Lodge. It is in the very center of the trail system. Rooms were clean and reasonably priced. In fact if you stay there, when going down the trail if markings are on the left you are heading back to Trailshead. If on the right you are going away from the Trailshead.
Recreational Springs was to the south part of the trail system and was not accessible (no snow at the time).
Spearfish is at the northern part of the trail system and looked to be a little higher end.

We stayed at Trailshead also and like previously stated it is centrally located and rooms are clean. If I went again I would stay at Spearfish canyon, newer hotel, phone reception and WiFi.

UP RIDER

We rode it last week on our way out to Towg, as far as trail riding goes it was very good. We stayed in Dead Wood and trailered up to Recreational Springs and rode out of there. The locals claim to be riding the back country but could not see where and not much snow cover for that.

woodside

Trailshead reported they picked up 6" over the weekend. The pic is from 2/4 by a local rider who posts on Snowest 20180204_101307.jpg .com There is no base. One other pics showed a sled with a broken A arm. Lots of hazards.

ryanslyne

Anyone headed this way this weekend for the opener? Looks like on the Facebook that things should be pretty good for the first weekend this season. Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan are pretty much junk for this weekend with weather I would imagine it is going to be a busy first weekend in the Black Hills.

RS

bayfly

We are heading out to BH on 2/07. Staying at Spearfish Canyon. If anyone is heading out there before then and willing to give a report it would be most appreciated. This is our first time out. I've been watching the reports on SnoWest and it sounds like they have been getting a decent amount of snow. Thanks!

woodside

Read Snowcop’s stuff. He is DNR and patrols the area. Very helpful and friendly guy who will respond to questions in advance. Be careful off trail as there are lots of minefields. Great trail system and U will enjoy Spearfish Canyon. Everything there for your needs

mrbb

late here , but some info, if your current sled is registered in your state, its good in SD< but its NOT when you go into WY< to go into WY trails you need a WY trail pass!

and a heads up to anyone renting sleds in Blackhills, most rentals company's DON"T offer insurance on sleds, or never used to, so if ANYTHING happens, its ALL out of pocket on YOU!
its not like many other places that add a insurance deal for a few bucks extra a days that covers all but deductible

just some FYI here for you
its a great place to ride, scenery can be awesome when conditions are good!

woodside

We were told last Feb by the owners of Trailshead Lodge that you can ride in the SD/Wyo Black Hills Trail Sytem without a Wyo Trail Pass. But I suggest calling them to make sure. As mrbb stated your current state sled registration is good for SD, including the Black Hills.

The only trail that goes into Wyo is TR3 and their spurs and the trail to the Buckhorn Bar. Otherwise you will be riding 100% in SD.

Here is the link to the Black Hills Trail Map https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/BlackHillsMap.pdf

bayfly

Thanks for the information. There is also a nice article in the January 2019 Snowgoer about the Black Hills riding. I think they rode about the same time that Woodside was out there last year. They pointed out a few "must see" spots and I hope the conditions are as good in early February this year. I realize it's a hit or miss deal like any riding. It's the first trip west of Wisconsin for me and my two sons. Really looking forward to it! I will check back as we get closer to the trip to see if anyone on this site has ridden BH this year.

ezra

Recommendations for lodging and best central location to access multiple trail loops in the Black Hills area?

http://recsprings.com/
good place and you can quickly drive in to lead or deadwood for some entertainment or sled parts or what ever. also vrbo tery peak ski aria homes most teal as access to rec springs trail access and gas