Boat Throttle Control Box Issue

kevinj

This is a technical question, but for a boat, therefore posted here. I hope someone can help as I have searched for about 10 hours constantly trying to find anything to help. I have come across an exploded diagram of parts, but it is a bit blurry. I have read through countless boating forums but all of the issues are only similar, not the same. I can't be the only one.

I have a similar throttle control box to the Yamaha 6X0 Remote Control Box ( I cannot post pics for some reason and I am in a hurry to post this). I cannot find an electronic manual and of course all dealers are swamped. I am thinking of hitting this myself. A new box is $250 plus a couple hours of labor at a dealer fast approaches $500. If I can identify the bad part, and only replace that, I am out my time and maybe $20. The boat only has 180hrs on it, granted its a 1993, but it is in immaculate shape.

It would be nice if someone else can help or chime in. The issue I am having is that the throttle will not move when I push in the neutral button to bring up the RPM without putting it in gear. The trigger and throttle will move for in gear usage, but no RPM adjusting for warm up. I have pulled the button out and I am able to use a pencil to push the button internally and it springs back out. So something internal to the box behind the wall of the boat might be broken.

Please help.

Thanks.
Kevin

wilson

i dont know for certain, its been awhile..but if you have the throttle cable hooked up to the throttle linkage at the engine, and there is no play it puts a bind on the box-not allowing it to move...its hard to explain...if you can disconnect the throttle cable at the engine ,then try to move the warm-up lever and it works you need to add a little slop in the adjustment....this can also work the opposite....if you have way to much slop the cable is moving but not moving the carb linkage,,, also the amount of rpms you gain with the warm up lever is very limited and only a few hundred rpms.....hope this helps