Brooks Lake lodge

Sweep800

Anyone ride there? Stay there? Group of three of us (in out mid 50’s) are wanting to go out there and ride. We’ve only done trail riding in WI/MI so we’d like some trails but would like to try the fields/meadows maybe a little hill climbing. We’ll fly and rent being as we just have trail sleds. There’s so many options it difficult to even know where to start . I have a place in Saint Germain so we have hit every trail around there a 1000 times. Heard Grand Lake Colorado might be a good option? Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks

whitedust

My suggestion is to walk before you run. Get a WI and MI Fire Road map and have at it to get your feet wet inexpensively near St Germain. Riding unplowed FRs is fun and you will learn to unstick your sleds and know if you want to really travel out west to mountain powder. Any sled 136 or longer will do the trick on WI and MI FRs.

Tuck

Grand lake there is a place called On The Trail rentals. They have long tracks for rent and it is one of the few rental places that does not require a guide. They give you a map and a return by time. Trails were nice and they have several areas to get off trail and play in, or get stuck. Our group has been there 4 times over the years and always had good experiences with them and conditions. https://www.onthetrailrentals.com/#

600_RMK_144

If you are seriously considering going out west, I'd recommend starting with AVI training for everyone in the group. Mike Duffy does courses all over the snow belt states which is a decent start. Then get the gear he recommends (beacon, probe & shovel at a minimum for every single rider). May sound extreme, but avi deaths are a real thing. Especially for flat landers that go out there un-educated of the risks. If you don't want to buy the gear, you can rent from OErentals.com. Locations to stay are unlimited, but doing a place that offers both the rentals and lodging makes it the easiest. Would also recommend a guide for at least the first day. You can do a lot of wondering around if you don't know where to head. A guide will get you on the powder very quickly. Albany Lodge outside of Laramie is a good place with trails and can get into some steep and deep pretty easily. They have lodging, rentals and guides. If you want to go where everyone else goes, then Togwotee Mountain Lodge (for good reason thou, they have everything you need and powder is around every turn).

homan

Brooks Lake Lodge is expensive. I have had lunch there but never stayed there. Always stay at Togwotee Mtn Lodge which isn't far from Brooks Lake Lodge. I would recommend Togwotee. Get a guide for at least the first day. Plenty of trails to ride out of there and lots of backcountry. Fly into Jackson WY. Togwotee Mtn Lodge will pick you up at airport.

mrbb

I'll add my 2 cents here
if your mostly a trail rider, and wanting MILD off trail riding, and a first timer out west
I really wouldn;t be going to Brooks lake lodge same goes for Togwotee. lodge!
Both are great places for sure, but they cater to folks that want 90% off trail riding and more of the steep and deep snow is the game up there.
great for those with more experience in the deep snow and high elevations! or just on MT sleds and not there first run of things!

ALSO< Not sure what your physical conditioning is, as in the 50's, can be a lot of things from great in shape types, to those that are not so in shape to those that ride a lot of couches or have a lot of injuries they got on the way to the 50's!
as condition your in will be a HUGE factor , between elevation, thinner air, and well, getting stuck and UN stuck!

I personally recommend first timers that are more of the trail rider to go to places more like West Yellowstone, or Island park!
odds are things will be cheaper, more options on ALL things from places to stay, sleds to rent and places to eat/relax after riding!
you will get awesome scenery, and no real shortage of places to get off trail and try the deeper powder! there are some great off trail places, that if you cannot find on your own,a GUIDE can get you;'s there!
I also, suggest folks maybe do something like this there first trip

rent a TRAIL sled for the first day or two, to GET around and see places you can go OFF trail, you will get to ride world class trails and see world class scenery on the trail sleds, THEN for a few days get a more OFF trail sled, be it a more pure MT sled, or , since the crazy is all about 50-50 sleds, odds are you ca find them, and maybe scratch your itch of OFF trail riding,. or make you want more and odds are you can THEN UP grade sled at that time allow you the best of all things, as you already are a trail rider, so you will very much enjoy the trails for sure, and then you again will SEE all the places you can go OFF trail, and then decide what sled to rent for a few days to go as wild as you want!

Making a trip like this, tends to IMO< assure you a great time and will be less work and more relaxing of a trip

West yellowstone, tend to offer the best DEALS<> many places will have packaged deals, on stay and ride, including free tank of fuel each day!
to get a package like I suggest, is possible, but you have ask in advance and work with them!
but I have sent many folks out that did this and all were happy they did so!
your SECOND trip out west, is the one you will want to MAYBE go to the higher less tourist like spots like Brooks lake and Togwotee. Lodge(tog being more and more as tourist place if were being honest)

west yellow stone also again, just offers so much MORE to do, besides ride sleds, if one wanted too and for less coin!
not that maybe that matters pending your position on funds!

but a first timer out west, and never been on a MT sled< unless your very healthy and active type,
I'd go to the places I suggested first!
one trip out west and your GOING to be going back again, so as I said, your SECOND trip, step up things, then!

600_RMK_144

I'll add my 2 cents here
if your mostly a trail rider, and wanting MILD off trail riding, and a first timer out west
I really wouldn;t be going to Brooks lake lodge same goes for Togwotee. lodge!
Both are great places for sure, but they cater to folks that want 90% off trail riding and more of the steep and deep snow is the game up there.
great for those with more experience in the deep snow and high elevations! or just on MT sleds and not there first run of things!

ALSO< Not sure what your physical conditioning is, as in the 50's, can be a lot of things from great in shape types, to those that are not so in shape to those that ride a lot of couches or have a lot of injuries they got on the way to the 50's!
as condition your in will be a HUGE factor , between elevation, thinner air, and well, getting stuck and UN stuck!

I personally recommend first timers that are more of the trail rider to go to places more like West Yellowstone, or Island park!
odds are things will be cheaper, more options on ALL things from places to stay, sleds to rent and places to eat/relax after riding!
you will get awesome scenery, and no real shortage of places to get off trail and try the deeper powder! there are some great off trail places, that if you cannot find on your own,a GUIDE can get you;'s there!
I also, suggest folks maybe do something like this there first trip

rent a TRAIL sled for the first day or two, to GET around and see places you can go OFF trail, you will get to ride world class trails and see world class scenery on the trail sleds, THEN for a few days get a more OFF trail sled, be it a more pure MT sled, or , since the crazy is all about 50-50 sleds, odds are you ca find them, and maybe scratch your itch of OFF trail riding,. or make you want more and odds are you can THEN UP grade sled at that time allow you the best of all things, as you already are a trail rider, so you will very much enjoy the trails for sure, and then you again will SEE all the places you can go OFF trail, and then decide what sled to rent for a few days to go as wild as you want!

Making a trip like this, tends to IMO< assure you a great time and will be less work and more relaxing of a trip

West yellowstone, tend to offer the best DEALS<> many places will have packaged deals, on stay and ride, including free tank of fuel each day!
to get a package like I suggest, is possible, but you have ask in advance and work with them!
but I have sent many folks out that did this and all were happy they did so!
your SECOND trip out west, is the one you will want to MAYBE go to the higher less tourist like spots like Brooks lake and Togwotee. Lodge(tog being more and more as tourist place if were being honest)

west yellow stone also again, just offers so much MORE to do, besides ride sleds, if one wanted too and for less coin!
not that maybe that matters pending your position on funds!

but a first timer out west, and never been on a MT sled< unless your very healthy and active type,
I'd go to the places I suggested first!
one trip out west and your GOING to be going back again, so as I said, your SECOND trip, step up things, then!
Good recommendation here for a first timer. West Yellowstone is more commercialized and lots of options for rentals, lodging, etc. But it's a looooong drive. 24hrs in the truck for us (each way). I only wish they allowed personal sleds into the park. My opinion only, but it's a racket between the park and the rental shops... MUST hire a guide and MUST rent a (4-stroke) sled. I kinda understand the guide so we don't go chasing the wildlife, but the whole point in having our own sleds is to NOT have to rent. To pull a sled all that way and then be told that you can't use it is total BS!

Anyway... Island Park offers miles and miles of trails if you decide the POW is too much or your arms are tired from pulling on the bars the previous day and you want to take it easy (this WILL happen!!!). We didn't care for the Two Top area. It is a beautiful view, but ALL the rental shops send their clients on that route, so it gets tracked up very, very quickly. Every single inch of snow had tracks when we were there. Just soooo much traffic in that area.

whitedust

Thanks guys very much, looking into all your suggestions.

WD where can I get a fire toed map for Wi?
I got mine from DNR east side of Eagle River. I was on a mission to find FR connection from Phelps to MI trail 2 so I could bipass Watersmeet and Lando to enter and exit MI. Stay on unplowed routes and you’re legal. Lots of FRs north of Phelps and throughout Iron County MI. I lived south of Phelps and learned all the FRs in that area. You will need a shovel and hand saw to clear trees after storms definitely the next step to powder riding for a Vilas trail rider imo.

srt20

Anyone ride there? Stay there? Group of three of us (in out mid 50’s) are wanting to go out there and ride. We’ve only done trail riding in WI/MI so we’d like some trails but would like to try the fields/meadows maybe a little hill climbing. We’ll fly and rent being as we just have trail sleds. There’s so many options it difficult to even know where to start . I have a place in Saint Germain so we have hit every trail around there a 1000 times. Heard Grand Lake Colorado might be a good option? Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks
I ride that area near Brooks lake often. Some of the most challenging terrain in Togwotee area is over there. Most of the trail riding is across the highway. Most of the meadows are across highway. Brooks has guides, Ive never used a guide, but Skinner seems pretty popular. Budget for tips too. He will be digging you out alot if you get good snow. You will be tired from getting it stuck.

Its not like midwest, there is not much for pit stops up there. A few safety huts.

Start doing cardio now. It will kick your butt. We take new guys out once in awhile, and they all think they will be fine and talk about the tricks they are going to do ( as did I the first time). Then we go riding and they learn just how different it is.

Its a great area, easy to find untouched snow. They also have great trails. If you want more of a northern WI bar scene, I suggest going to West Yellowstone/IP. Great trails over there too.

Stopped at grand mesa co. last spring for a ride.Great trail system and can also get to some steep and deep!!
Looking forward to making a longer trip or there!!was there end of April and still had 6’ of snow!!
Also luckily enough to spend week at brooks a few years ago!!we were there late March after they closed for year.
Spent day down in Jackson too see hill climbs!!
Brooks area is amazing and I was taken on some pretty crazy stuff my first time out!!
Had my 12 swb pro r first couple days!!
Then switched to a 144!!
Pics from grand Mesa.

Attachments

• 0BABFF36-E2C3-4425-B395-50B39C0BB457.jpeg
    0BABFF36-E2C3-4425-B395-50B39C0BB457.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 6AC46A5A-337F-4177-B468-77ADCCBF0EBC.jpeg
    6AC46A5A-337F-4177-B468-77ADCCBF0EBC.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 12
  • AABC6FA3-0BE4-4F67-81D3-F94AA0C9F88D.jpeg
    AABC6FA3-0BE4-4F67-81D3-F94AA0C9F88D.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 12

mrbb

Good recommendation here for a first timer. West Yellowstone is more commercialized and lots of options for rentals, lodging, etc. But it's a looooong drive. 24hrs in the truck for us (each way). I only wish they allowed personal sleds into the park. My opinion only, but it's a racket between the park and the rental shops... MUST hire a guide and MUST rent a (4-stroke) sled. I kinda understand the guide so we don't go chasing the wildlife, but the whole point in having our own sleds is to NOT have to rent. To pull a sled all that way and then be told that you can't use it is total BS!

Anyway... Island Park offers miles and miles of trails if you decide the POW is too much or your arms are tired from pulling on the bars the previous day and you want to take it easy (this WILL happen!!!). We didn't care for the Two Top area. It is a beautiful view, but ALL the rental shops send their clients on that route, so it gets tracked up very, very quickly. Every single inch of snow had tracks when we were there. Just soooo much traffic in that area.
I totally get how far it can be for some to get sleds there(I towed a few times from NE PA to Yellowstone to ride yrs ago)
BUT if your only grip is NO being able to ride your sled in the park, thats a small one, as honestly with a max speed limit of about 25 mph, and most sledder's that would tow that far, I doubt there riding slow sleds to start with
SO< chugging about so slow like, running a rental is NOT that big a deal IMO< for what all you get to experience in the park, seeing the things you do and all
its a small price to pay to get to enjoy it!
( have also been able to ride my OWN sled in the park, before they changed things that is)

giving your personal sled a day off, isn;t a bad thing either, saves a on war and tear LOL

NOW< I also get the towing your OWN sleds out west, but pending costs of fuel, and all,, Renting can be a much better option for many folks, and even work out to be cheaper
I know for me, its cheaper to fly and rent, than haul sleds from my way, pending HOW long you want to stay that is
but I and friends, have done many trips for 7 days with air fare included, sleds and lodging(free tank of fuel each day) for less than it would have run me to drive out,m which also saved us a lot of down time driving out!(saving us 4+ days of driving, pending weather , could be more)
so again, to many first timers, renting a sled isn;t a bad deal in WY< or island park IMO

and IF one wanted to visit the park, again, renting 1 day, and a group with a guide??
its NOT really a big deal if your being honest here!
your sled won't mind a break, and after all, again, your only going to be going SLOW In the park any how
HECK, doing a snow coach tour isn;t so bad either (done them with non sledding friends)
they were enjoyable as well! just a LOT of options if we keep an open mind!

Sweep800

Thanks again for all the recommendations. We would just fly and rent where ever we go. I'm a very active framing carpenter so in decent shape but don't do a lot of the cardio thing. Around WI we are the type if guys that most people probably swear at when we go zipping by them. LOL
Is it true there is a 35 mph speed limit in Yellowstone? If so that definitely won't work. So lets say we go to TOG area and trail ride the first couple days then maybe grab a better sled and do the meadows for a couple days, I will admit I don't really have the desire to dig sleds out all day, it's my one buddy who wants to do the steep and deep. There are so many options it's tough to know where to begin. I have a buddy that just built a house in Jackson and there's a chance he might meet up with us so was trying to stick to that area.

mrbb

Yellowstone national park < has a speed limit in the park, that's a PAY to ride deal, using only sleds they will allow!

OUT side the park, there maybe some speed limits in town and such, but once out past the town(like most ALL towns that have sled trails in them)
the limits are pretty much a non deal issue, MOST all states have speed limits on snowmobile trails too by the way, just few follow or are even enforced!

as for renting TRAIL Sled to ride up about Tog, your NOT going to find many TRAIL sleds to rent, and many you will find will be two up touring sleds, not exactly FUN speedy trail sleds

this is where being in say WEST Yellowstone, opens the door to more options, there are just SO many rental shops, the options on rental sleds, typically you can find what you want(as in high performance trail sleds or 50/50 sleds or pure off trail sleds)

as I gather your not the type of riders that want to be on low performance trail sleds or two ups??

and again if its ONLY 1 of you that really wants to ride the steep and the deep
west yellowstone is a better option IMO< there are many places to get wild, and the rest of you can simply take a break and WATCH the 1 guy go wild and get stuck LOL

I have gone out west in like places(little less tourist like, but more trails than deep and steep) and since they were not OFF trail riders, they would just stop and let me have at it

as for not doing a lot of cardio, if I was you, i"d start some cardio
the elevation alone will have you sucking more wind, add in being a more aggressive rider, and some cardio will be a BIG perk to have had done before you get out there! all the more so if you go to TOG over West yellowstone!

also since there is a few of you, rather than do the pick up at air port, chip in rent a vehicle at airport, it saves a LOT of time getting to ride and back, your not waiting on THEM to get you and return you, plus having a vehicle isn;'t bad idea to see about the town(or go buy oil for sleds at a cheaper price than at rental shop!)
or CRAP forbid a rain day, and don;t want to ride in the rain, you can get about dry then!
like I stated before, a first time rider out west, just has WAY more options going to west yellowstone(island park too), than to a more pure MT riding destination like Tog, nothing against Tog, great place to be honest,, but I wouldn't go there if I was mostly a trail rider , you'd just be limiting yourself too much and doubt you would enjoy things as much as you could else where!

if you were in your early young and DUMB yr, OK< maybe go for it, but sounds like your out of them now!, or all but 1 is LOL

srt20

Thanks again for all the recommendations. We would just fly and rent where ever we go. I'm a very active framing carpenter so in decent shape but don't do a lot of the cardio thing. Around WI we are the type if guys that most people probably swear at when we go zipping by them. LOL
Is it true there is a 35 mph speed limit in Yellowstone? If so that definitely won't work. So lets say we go to TOG area and trail ride the first couple days then maybe grab a better sled and do the meadows for a couple days, I will admit I don't really have the desire to dig sleds out all day, it's my one buddy who wants to do the steep and deep. There are so many options it's tough to know where to begin. I have a buddy that just built a house in Jackson and there's a chance he might meet up with us so was trying to stick to that area.
IDK what the speed limit is in Yellowstone, but I do know its mandatory guided. IIRC you must rent from whoever the park has do the guided trips. The "trails" are just unplowed pavement roads. Also I believe the Yellowstone tour is from West Yellowstone. Thats a fairly long truck ride from Jackson and most park roads are closed in winter.

Ive been to Yellowstone in summer and because of that and with all the winter rules and regulations, I have no desire to snowmobile there. You definitely have a better chance at seeing Bison and Elk at the lower elevations in the Park. And the hot springs and geysers. But if you are looking more for landscapes, mountain beauty, mountain ruggedness etc, thats all over in the west. At 9k+ elevation in winter, you won't see much for animals anywhere.

mrbb

IDK what the speed limit is in Yellowstone, but I do know its mandatory guided. IIRC you must rent from whoever the park has do the guided trips. The "trails" are just unplowed pavement roads. Also I believe the Yellowstone tour is from West Yellowstone. Thats a fairly long truck ride from Jackson and most park roads are closed in winter.

Ive been to Yellowstone in summer and because of that and with all the winter rules and regulations, I have no desire to snowmobile there. You definitely have a better chance at seeing Bison and Elk at the lower elevations in the Park. And the hot springs and geysers. But if you are looking more for landscapes, mountain beauty, mountain ruggedness etc, thats all over in the west. At 9k+ elevation in winter, you won't see much for animals anywhere.
guides are ONLY needed inside the park, NOT outside where 99% of the riding in west Yellowstone area is,
so, there is NO need to hire a guide or even rent a PARK approved sled, if you DON"T go into the park!, and if you really wish to visit Yellowstone National park, NOT on sled, but by vehicle, the BEST time to do so is in the last few weeks the park is open, there is almost ZERO traffic its like having the whole place to yourself, critters every where
summer time, its a ZOO of traffic, coul;dnt; pay me top go that time of yr LOL

srt20

guides are ONLY needed inside the park, NOT outside where 99% of the riding in west Yellowstone area is,
so, there is NO need to hire a guide or even rent a PARK approved sled, if you DON"T go into the park!, and if you really wish to visit Yellowstone National park, NOT on sled, but by vehicle, the BEST time to do so is in the last few weeks the park is open, there is almost ZERO traffic its like having the whole place to yourself, critters every where
summer time, its a ZOO of traffic, coul;dnt; pay me top go that time of yr LOL
Did you even read my post? Nowhere did I state you needed a guide or a park rental outside of the park. I have ridden quite a few times in West Yellowstone/Island Park area.

mrbb

Did you even read my post? Nowhere did I state you needed a guide or a park rental outside of the park. I have ridden quite a few times in West Yellowstone/Island Park area.
YES I did, and I never said you did, I just wanted to point out one wasn't needed !