bug repellent

jd

Administrator
Staff member
No, I won't keep it a secret, but I am going to risk sounding like an Amway salesperson with what it was.

It is actually a concoction of products that come from a company called Melalecua (http://www.melaleuca.com/). The down side is you have to "join" their business to get their products, but the up side is the products are non-toxic and really work. The bug repellant actually uses some of their cleaning product in the recipe. Again, not to sound like an Amway sales person, but I have found their cleaning products to work very well- better than the others that you can get at the store. Once you are a member, there are several recipes that are given. Here is the notes Nora sent me as to the different options to use.

For humans, mix 1 teaspoon of Moisturizing Hand Creme and 5 drops of T36-C5 ® and apply to any exposed skin. Another very effective insect repellent is to mix 1/4 cup of MelaMagic ®, 1/4 cup of Tough & Tender ®, 2 capfuls of Sol-U-Mel ®, and 5 drops of T36-C5 ®. This has been used effectively in the rainforest, so it should work well for most of us.
An alternate solution would be to combine 2 ounces of Renew Bath Oil with 2 ounces ofSol-U-Mel ®, 1 ounce of Tough & Tender ® and 20 drops of T36-C5 ®.
You might also try mixing 2 capfuls of Sol-U-Mel ® with 10 to 15 drops of T36-C5 ® in 16 ounces of water in a spray bottle. PreSpot Plus ™ makes another great repellent lotion.
I DID A DIFFERENT ONE…..10 DROPS T336-CD(TEA TREE), ¼ CUP SOLUMEL & A COUPLE TABLESPOONS OF TOUGH AND TENDER.

I can also vouch for the effectiveness of the bug repellent that Nora made. It did seem to wear off quickly (30-60 minutes) with perspiration, but once I sprayed myself down again, was good for another 30-60 minutes and so far this has been the only thing I have found to truly keep the black flies from biting. The still buzz your head, but do not land and bite.

I have no idea how much it is to join, but I don't think it is extravagent as that is not Nora's style. You will have to check out the website to see. I suppose we could make some bucks by having those reading this join under our membership or something like that, but that is not our style either.

-John