Building the main house

mark_e_hastings

Hi John,

I remember that your origional plan when you bought the property was to build a guest house first and live in it. Then start building the main log cabin. I was wondering now that you have the shop done (or almost finished) if you had any plans to start on the log cabin this summer or hold off for now or if it is still in the works? Your projects are one of my favorite parts of your Journal and look forward to seeing the finished shop and hopefully the log cabin plans.

Thanks, love the site.
Mark Hastings

A

admin

Mark-

We still have plans to build a log home that will become home we live in permanently up here, but that is still at least 2 years off. We have been planning it for more than a year though and will perhaps be interviewing architechs in the not too distant future.

-John

booondocker

John, was wondering about one of the photos in the journal.

Did you leave "daylight" panels in the roof along the walls? One photo looks like it, and that would be a slick idea for most of the year.

A

admin

boondocker-

I decided I did not want to box in the soffits to try and give the shop a slightly different look (less refined) than the cabin. Because of that and the fact that I did not run the boards for the siding all the way up flush against the bottom of the metal roof, there is a space. What I did was to put screening in to keep bugs and critters out and will keep that area open for air transfer.

I will be putting a ceiling in the shop (getting started on that this afternoon) so the open spaces will not be seen from inside the shop. It would be neat to be able to have that light getting into the shop all the time though. I will also miss the light coming in from the missing ridge cap, but that is the way it goes.

-John