Cadillac to Higgins/Houghton Lake

Snojoe

Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted or completed the journey. I have some friends in Cadillac and I would like to meet up with them this year however, the trail stops in lake city. Any ideas or personal knowledge of the area would be appreciated. Thanks

joechase

My wife and I actually road from Cadillac to Houghton Lake about 14 years ago. When leaving Cadillac, I think we went to the west end of Lake Mitchell and hit county roads to go up and around Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac. We eventually hit a trail that led us to Lake City. I will try to look at some maps to refresh my memory.

Snojoe

My wife and I actually road from Cadillac to Houghton Lake about 14 years ago. When leaving Cadillac, I think we went to the west end of Lake Mitchell and hit county roads to go up and around Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac. We eventually hit a trail that led us to Lake City. I will try to look at some maps to refresh my memory.

Thanks Joe,

Check the map and let me know please. I am coming from houghton lake. Looking at the maps I have it looks like the trail ends in lake city.

thundersnow

Thanks Joe,

Check the map and let me know please. I am coming from houghton lake. Looking at the maps I have it looks like the trail ends in lake city.

It does. You would need to ride off trail. Not sure if there's any seasonal roads or anything but I have garmin mapsource on my computer and could check it out for ya

Snojoe

I will have to check with the club in houghton lake. There has to be a way. I cant believe that I would be the first to want to make this trip. It seems like they are both very big snowmobile hubs when there is snow. I am shocked that a trail does not already exsist.

dnrtheil

A trail would be nice. There are plenty of roads and two-tracks to follow, just get trail maps of the area and pick your way through. Have made the trip many times, I just remember what way to go when I arrive at a spot, can not give actually direction unless I have a map in front of me. I plan to track and save a route with my GPS this year.

Derek

joechase

Well, I have looked for my old maps, and I cannot find them. I know for a fact that the route we took was just north of all the stores in Cadillac. We crossed US-131 using E. 34 road or E. 36 road, I do not remember which one exactly. Back then, I don't think the current US-131 was even there. We then followed along the north side of M-55 until we got to the south side of Lake City. We crossed M-66 just south of Lake City and continued towards Houghton Lake. Since M-55 makes a jog around Lake City, the trail then followed along the south side of M-55 towards Houghton Lake. The trail eventually connected to the current trail that crosses M-55 on the west side of Houghton Lake. We may have used ORV trails at the time for some of it. Hope some of this helps.

kirk600

The best you can do is ride from lake city to manton, then you can ride some roads south into cadillac area. I ride this at least once a year, weather permitting as the plows make it difficult. You can end up east of US131 Near long lake, camp cadillac area, or go across 131 and pick your way down towards missaukee junction ORV trail. Then you can work your way down to 34 road which is Boon road on the north end.

Or you can run the shoulder from manton to caddillac on old 131

I ride my dirt bike on these roads during the summer, scouting new trails